FV 8416

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: FV 8416

Post by Charles uk »

Same method as the Century one Nudge, with different hole centers.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Same method as the Century one Nudge, with different hole centers.
Yes.... I know how it is done, but do others? and do they have the tools / equipment to do the job!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi John,
Just got back from my boating few days. FV2821 did sterling service on my dinghy. These FVs do get through the fuel and with the small capacity tanks, need frequent topping up. Maybe I open up the throttle too much enjoying all that raw power!!
Anyway, back to FV8416 and its missing head. I am afraid I do not have a spare. I have one which is allocated to FV2168, which is in need of the corrosion cavities being welded up. I have had a previous head welding up with this problem. It was surprisingly easy to file and then emery paper it flat. So, if you can find a corroded one, do not dismiss it.

Yes, the magneto cover plate for FV8416 would originally be plain. I am not sure when 'The best outboard motor In the world' was introduced - possibly perhaps around serial numbers 12000 or 13000.

Some new head casting would be great, but I do not know if the cost and the actual quantity required would make it viable. I would certainly like one.

Good luck.

Jeremy
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Some new head casting would be great, but I do not know if the cost and the actual quantity required would make it viable. I would certainly like one.
How much are people willing to pay?
There is no point in looking into it if you think it is only worth $50..... I can see the cost being more like $100+ and that would be making at least 6. That and I would need an old one as a pattern. It would not need to be a good one as I can fix it up with filler and glue.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Yes, Nudge, the production of FV/FVP heads doesn't seem viable. The relative low prices of FV/FVP, which is a good thing in my opinion as it should and ought to encourage their use, does mean that expensive new part production of heads is probably not going to happen.

Jeremy