Surprising Seagull SD discovery

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

mick r

Re: Surprising Seagull SD discovery

Post by mick r »

RE. Does anyone know here the correct name for the Green Paint applied to flywheel?

IRR GREEN SATIN LRC553.
A traditional single part Synthetic Coach Enamel paint. This was used by the Army, RAF, & Royal Navy, occasionally over-painting NATO Green Gloss.

May or may not be the correct answer.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Try humbrol (86) matt :twisted:
Attachments
15278717437621814658141.jpg
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I've seen 6 or 7 examples of SD's displaying varying amounts of "army green" paint & they all appeared to be slightly different shades of Army green, I doubt very much if there ever was an exact specification for this colour.

Mauriziopiras, I think when Hugz asked what the extension tiller arm was made of, he meant the black tube in the bottom of your box.

Could you let us know if there is a JM number on the magneto base plate & whether it's the same as the flywheel JM number?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I would think the paint colour is standard olive drab.

https://paintman.co.uk/shop/olive-drab-matt/ or https://militaryvehiclepaint.co.uk/index.php
used for decades by the British Army.

Interesting find Is the box date AUG 1945 ?

VE day was 8th May 1945, so if the crate was painted in August 1945 that was after victory in Europe, so would have arrived in Italy a few week later overland via Calais.

Who were C D P and Co Ltd ? I would not think that army issue equipment would need the have company branding perhaps.

I thought the carry handle was a later item http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/no ... sories.jpg

I cant see 2 soldiers carrying an SD, when it must weigh less than a Bren gun.

This is a fantastic find in Italy, but I feel that the important research needs to be about "C D P & Co Ltd" who were they ?

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The tank has GDP on it, and we have seen that before, if I recall from engines found in the Netherlands. Didn’t we come up with a theory 6 or 7 years ago that this could be some sort of post war assistance programme. Is the C on the box a G?
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Chas is probably right about the paint not being specific now i think of it. I own grey fergie tractors and are early- mid 50's and i know that the paint used in the ferguson factory was all leftover battleship paint and there were probably at least 10 different shades used.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Read the book 50 shades of gray no fergies or battleships mentioned :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Ok. Two more questions for registry. Does she have the CIESS skeg stamp and what material is the carburetor float bowl lid?

Thanks.
mauriziopiras

Post by mauriziopiras »

Yes, it has CIESS skeg stamp. I will post a photo if the skeg stamp.
Carb float bowl lid is ali made.
Cheers
Maurizio
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

mick r wrote:RE. Does anyone know here the correct name for the Green Paint applied to flywheel?

IRR GREEN SATIN LRC553.
A traditional single part Synthetic Coach Enamel paint. This was used by the Army, RAF, & Royal Navy, occasionally over-painting NATO Green Gloss.

May or may not be the correct answer.
Thank you Mick R.

not quite what I was expecting (eg Defence Green, Olive Drab etc) but it will set me in the right direction.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles uk wrote:I've seen 6 or 7 examples of SD's displaying varying amounts of "army green" paint & they all appeared to be slightly different shades of Army green, I doubt very much if there ever was an exact specification for this colour.

Mauriziopiras, I think when Hugz asked what the extension tiller arm was made of, he meant the black tube in the bottom of your box.

Could you let us know if there is a JM number on the magneto base plate & whether it's the same as the flywheel JM number?
Hi Charles,

If it is an Olive Drab as suggested by HA, it will vary significantly eg from green to brown, subject to lighting. I've had no end of matching paint for my Commando for that very reason.

I've also been told by some in the paint trade that Drab colors cannot be computer recognised and matched. To that end, matching is often done by eye, and that of course can lead to further variation.

Regards,
Spiro
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I am loving this SD more and more.

Tank decal, carry handle, bronze skeletal bracket (albeit top section looks a little different to the usual), markings on the crate etc etc.

I'll leave it to you guys to explain those things and how they fit in with what we know eg is it wartime or post war?

Great find Maurizio!

Regards,
S
Sandro Picchio

Post by Sandro Picchio »

Really great find!
I fullheartedly envie you Maurizio, as I am from Lago Maggiore and interested in old engines.
Congratulazioni!

Sandro
mauriziopiras

Post by mauriziopiras »

Hi Sandro,

It was a lucky find. This kind of engins is not so common in Italy.
In the last days I saw a splendid De Giorgi - Varazze bicilindric outboard. I want it!!!!
Mi fa piacere condividere questa passione.
Per scambiare qualche opinione sentiamoci anche via mail. La mia mail è mau.pir@tiscali.it

Cari saluti

Maurizio
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse