Model 90 woes

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Model 90 woes

Post by charlesp »

It was going to be a straightforward job.

1) Take gearbox from Model 90 in the workshop that has a knackered block

2) Put gearbox onto Model 90 that's hanging on the boat transom.

Surely a simple task? Only 2 nuts to undo, heave power head off, bolt it onto good leg, and off we go.

But no. I bolted it all together yesterday (British Seagull don't give you much space round the inner nut do they!), and pulled the magic string. Nothing. I really should have changed the fuel, so I did that and let fresh stuff rinse through the fuel pipe and needle valve. Try again. Yes, we have ignition, we are running, then we stop. So there's a problem there. Restarted OK, not pumping water. Oh s***. And to cap it all the recoil starter doesn't want to recoil.

I have run out of time until Wednesday when I will split the thing again and just check the water pipe is actually in the right place, it's a bit of a fiddle when you do a job like this hanging over the back end of a small yacht. I will also clean the fiddly bits of the carburettor, replace the spark plug which I must admit is impressively corroded, and replace the recoil starter.

And to think I was wondering what colour to spray the leg!
Nudge

Re: Model 90 woes

Post by Nudge »

not pumping water.
I had the same issue back at Easter on the second day or the Waikato race. I had pulled down the engine the night before, only to miss getting the water pickup pipe in the gearbox.
I was lucky I had a second motor and did the repair in the boat wile under way! :shock:

Good luck with it!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Under way!

Respect!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Yup! That's when you have to put full trust in your kids (15 and 12) I left them to drive the boat while I did the fixing.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?