Painting instead of chrome plating

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

Painting instead of chrome plating

Post by charlesp »

It's the drive shaft tube I'm talking about, on my model 90. The rust spots have gone past the acceptable stage. Chrome plating is expensive, and frankly not as good as it was, besides it takes time. So I'm going to rub it down and paint it.

Those bits that left the factory sprayed silver will get a new coat of the same. But what would people suggest for painting a rubbed down drive shaft casing? This is a working motor - or will be when it gets a new gearbox - and it'll sit on the transom. I'm moored in sea water.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Painting instead of chrome plating

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I would give this epoxy a go, only concern is UV stability.

https://www.frost.co.uk/vht-quick-coat- ... rosol.html

I would use an epoxy primer first, just to make it last a bit longer.

Epoxy primer is proving to be good in the classic car world, and satin black epoxy paint is used a lot in the states for gun refinishing.

When I next need to paint a tank I will give epoxy a go.

H-A
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

How about a 2 part epoxy such as this?

http://www.steel-it.com/epoxy-stainless ... oatings-11
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The thing about Frost's web site is that it can be a bit of a time stealer! Bags of interesting stuff on there...

But in the end, in the interests of speed, I've decided to fudge the idea. I will simply use the tube that's already attached to the gearbox I will be using. The final decision will be made at leisure, but tomorrow I will be tightening up the two nuts needed to attach the good gearbox in place of the defective one.

I just couldn't resist stripping the (several coats of) paint off it. I have discovered that Nitromors has become virtually unusable of late. It's just waiting for a last examination before spraying, together with the recoil starter from the donor motor.

Now where did I leave the gearbox oil?