Early 40 Series for sale

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Early 40 Series for sale

Post by Gannet »

LS30581 is for sale on e bay, which made me think that there have not been many Early 40 Series ( FV,FVP,LS, LM) up for sale recently.
Is this because nobody wants them, or is it because the survivors have all been 'rescued' by enthusiasts? Perhaps it is because there is, in my opinion a misguided view, that they are going to increase in value significantly and thus people are hanging onto them?
Who knows?

LS30581 looks ok, although it has had, like so many, some more modern parts fitted (ie tiller, throttle lever, gearbox and transom bracket). But could be probably used or restored fairly easily. Interestingly it was on e bay in March 2015.

Jeremy
Keith.P

Re: Early 40 Series for sale

Post by Keith.P »

It maybe that putting it right is not so easy now, when parts are harder to find.
To my eye, it has, as you say Jeremy, the wrong tiller, throttle lever and complete transom, plus the prop, as it should be a four blade not a weed free prop.
How easy is it to find the right parts to put it right, for me I have all the parts to put it right, but would anyone else have them?
Its to far from me, so it will not be coming home.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Fair comment Keith,
It depends on whether the wrong parts are critical to a potential buyer. There is probably a fair bit of work required to make it look smartish and the wrong parts can be easily put on at a later date when and if they have been acquired. Although as you say they are not so many around.

Jeremy
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I think it is also that an FV/P with the little tank look better than a standard 40 motor and an LS is more like a standard 40 then a FV/P, its not that they are all that uncommon really.
Like the wartime motor its very easily to distinguished from a later 102 motor, when a common 40 and an LS is not that easy to tell apart.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Yes, I would agree with that, although I know very little about the 102s, certainly the FV/FVP especially the early ones
( pre S/N 10000) and with the stub tiller looks so very different from all later 40s. And so those are the ones that appeal the most.

Jeremy