Serial No Defaced

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

philiphenson

Serial No Defaced

Post by philiphenson »

I just bought a Silver Century on Ebay. A rather impulsive purchase but it was nearby, I was bidding in the last few minutes of the auction so didn't have time to email the seller.
On getting it home today I find that the serial number has been partially removed - see photo. What does the forum think? I can only think of one reason why someone does this.
2018-02-17 14.17.53-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
I wonder if I should report it to Ebay?

Philip

My Guess is WSL 806EE7
Last edited by philiphenson on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tambikeboy

Re: Serial No Defaced

Post by tambikeboy »

Grand theft auto comes to mind.....
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Personally l wouldn't worry about it. Just part of its colourful past. Hope it doesn't run too hot :lol:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

There is another possibility this looks like it could be one of the crankcases with the lower main bearing that protrudes from the case into the drive shaft tube & is quite a tight fit in there, to remove the power head often requires a few clouts from a hammer, as this is the side with the best access it's the best place to rest a drift when hitting, if you don't have a rubber hammer.

I doubt very much if a Seagull is at the top of an outboard thief's hit parade, as it's worth more as parts!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

difficult to confirm one way or another, I would just accept it as is and enjoy owning it.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I doubt very much if a Seagull is at the top of an outboard thief's hit parade, as it's worth more as parts!
Maybe not the right attitude, would you think the same if one of your motors went walkies, or is it just a seagull.
As seen on Ebay, Stolen: British Seagull 102, Brighton, good chrome on exhaust, faulty magneto AC14127, this was someone pride and joy.

As for as this motor is concerned, the serial number has tried to be rubbed out, to what end and why, we will never know.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

30 seconds with an angle grinder & it would be illegible, you can still see most of it!

WSL * 08 EE7

That was a quick look, your screen is bigger than mine Keith, what say you?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I thought as Charles did at first but when you expand the photo the number has clearly been targeted.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

I just can't imagine that there is anything false or illegal about this seagull and the thought of people dealing in hot ones is unacceptable.
Plus I have never ever heard of or seen a bent Aussie. Like finding a 3 legged kangaroo. I sure hope no one on board here is insulted or feeling uneasy.
Cripes.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Over the years I have seen and heard of marinas being cleaned out over a weekend, so it happens far more often then people think and most seagulls are just kept in a shed at the bottom of the garden, but some of us have the sense to keep a record of serial numbers.
As far as bent Aussie's, I've never been into rugby.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Moving a little bit away from the topic of the defacing of this specific serial number, yes, I think a record of the serial number is critical. A photo of the outboard showing the serial number could also be possibly useful. But what about marking the engine somewhere in a non obvious place to identify it as yours. Is that a good idea or not really useful?

Jeremy
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I can't think of a better way to make a Seagull look dubious & only 8 hammer blows!

If I was robbing a marina I'd only pick up a Seagull if I still had room in the car & all the good stuff was in there already!