Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: Taking SJM 661L5 For a Run

Post by Keith.P »

As found on the main site.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

With further research SJM motor number 661 would be 1956 to 57 so the L5 is a bit of a mystery.

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... etters.htm
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Human error guys.

I'm going to put it out there that the serial number perhaps should read something like SJM661K5 or M5 if we're thinking it was made towards the latter part of '65

What got stamped into this SJM (i think) nearly 53 years ago was probably an honest mistake from the guy who did the stamping in the first place.

I can see the logic (from the guy doing the stamping) in wanting to use a letter L for a month indication, BUT i can also see in various parts of SOS as well that the letter L as a month indicator can often cause a lot of confusion. Not least with how we identify the L as meaning long shaft in this instance.

Perhaps young Boyd could assist with a few things that might help clear up this mess.
Embossed fuel tank ends with the "seagull" wording are a bit of a clue for dating purposes, as are a few other bits and bobs if you know what you're looking at. This (i'm fairly certain) is a 1960's featherweight and not a 1950's. (my little SJM is quite different to this one in quite a few ways)

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Totally agree, its more like a 60's motor, with some plastic parts, clench bolt facing backswords, tank ends, it even looks like an aluminium exhaust and tiller.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

As a comparison, my SJM has a brass tiller with the longer throttle lever, an "in the world" ignition cover,a chrome plated brass exhaust tube with 1 small hole, a 2 holed inlet (not slots) on the gearbox identical to an FV, clench bolt facing forward, a few more aluminium parts and flat tank ends. The mounting bracket is slightly different too.
Quite a bit different to Bruce's SJM.

Not that i'm an expert on these things you understand, i just pay attention to the smaller details.
I've probably spent too much time with Jeremy as well :lol: :lol:

It would still be good to hear what young Boyd might have to add.
All good though

Jon