Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

NaughtyBits

Re: Knots versus mph/kph

Post by NaughtyBits »

Yes Hugo - still knots here in Bermuda.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

If I'm operating a boat powered by a little kicker, I like to set the speedometer to read kmh ..................... only because it makes me feel like I'm going faster lol.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

In oz you need a boat license on any boat that goes more than 10 knots. I understand this is not the case in the UK. Other countries? I'm wondering if this is why we have knots on our inland waters as there is knowledge test to pass. In some ways l can understand speed is the same as the road measure in countries where a license is not required. A knot would be confusing to the uninitiated. I've never had a speedo on a boat just a tacho.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

We just have to have a license, but like a fishing license and insurance.
Jacsplat

Post by Jacsplat »

Knots here too!
As far as I know we don't need to have a license for peasure craft..... Yet!
We can do a 2 day boat masters course for $250 through coastguard.
there is more about it here:
https://www.boatingeducation.org.nz/courses/
Outboards don't float
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Knots/mph dont matter here in scotland we do what we want when we want water wardens belong just there right in the middle of the loch SPLASH full throttle always and treat it as you've nicked it xxx :evil:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

They are a bit meaner around here. Get caught drink/driving on a boat over .05, even on a slow seagull dinghy and your car drivers license is in jeopardy. Turning into the nanny state. They are forever checkng if you have the correct safety equipment on board ie lifejackets, V sheet, torch, bailer etc. Mind you l have seen some idiotic behaviour on Sydney harbour by big stink boats.

Will check out the NZ masters link. Hard to get Masters license here. A very intense course if having paying passengers.

All good info!
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

That's how it's done you'll never beat the Irish (so she tells me)
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Unless Ken Warby and son is on your tail.

http://warbymotorsport.com/boats/spirit-of-australia-2/
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

speeds and distances on a marine chart knots
inland water ways that are measured in empirical miles this will be rivers inland of the estuary will be miles ofr if metric maps the klm whorl speed records usually run over measured miles on inland waterways will be posted in miles so for instance when Italk of round Bruny I only speak in knots when on he river Derwent or Houon rivers then I change to klms to have relation ship to the source data Bermuda is all marine except for a few mountain streams that are not navigable any way
in the oil industry in the Java where for a time Iwas project Engineer in charge of laying dozens of miles of pipe lines and subsea cables I would first calculate the distances between points by cphericical trigonometry then for the pipe I would convert to feet and joints of pipe to be weightcoate and welded together on the lay barge one jointJoint=40 ft for the cable that was converted to meters and ordered in lengths chain for mooring systems was order either in eitherfulllengths or shots of90 ft. USAusing empirical the rest of the world metric working in feet and inches and millimetre off the same drawing s was always a challenge for young players :lol: checking material quantities was a nightmare for gloable bid documents it also made it difficult to evaluate bids enough frothing the point is there is no fixed right or wrong go with the source data island waterways and mariners will ofter post maximum speed limits in miles per hour so unless you have a sophisticated speed log you ewill need to be well aware ob your boat speed at different throttles and beware fines can be high if the limit is 5 mph you will be ok with 5 knots but if 5 klm 5 knots is too quick and may exceed the wash restrictions don't try oh I throughout Klm was knots the river police will not be impressed.
stay say on the water always carry your safety gear and on a small open boat wwear a life jacket
regards for christmas AJ
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

in the 50s' and 60's on the factory floor micrometers were and still are calibrated in thousandths of an inch 1/2 = .0005 ⅛ =.125 ¼ =.250 add infamy add infaminfant we didn't calculate anything or convert we simply knew the decimal amounts like counting remember when a brief glance at a nut or bolt head you instantly knew the spanner size now we have UNFUNC AF metric and we still have WITworthe ohyes and BAnot great for a hemapeligec who has lost much of his original ability to reason type and spell nothing makes much sense any more,AJ
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Makes sense to me. Great information AJ! Now I feel happier knowing my micrometer is based on old school interpretation.

What decade where you pipe laying in Java? You may wish to write a book on your exploits. Might seem normal to you but it is treasured history for us recreational boaters. I grew up with a Dad in the Royal Navy (UK) and who also was a pilot and constantly heard of his exploits around the world including Antarctica, Korean war, Burma conflict and so forth. Interestingly he never saw a Seagull used in the Navy. Hearing about the merchant navy etc would be most interesting.

Coincidentally I just read that steam paddle wheelers always measure their speed in MPH wherever they are. A traditionalist thing I think. Maybe the SA lads might know more.

Also read that the Chinese had paddle wheelers (called water wheel) in the Tang dynasty from about 620 AD. Turned by slaves I would guess. Not a good life.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

froth blower is the definition a person who pisses of Hugz or is there a more general definition in the Australian vernacular that I have missed
AJ
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

A Seagull expression :lol: Left click to enlarge. The 12hp motor.
frothblower advert.jpg