10:1 Fuel Mix

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

skipper20

10:1 Fuel Mix

Post by skipper20 »

I have 2 problems: (1) I'm mathematically challenged and (2) I live in a country that still uses inches, feet, ounces and gallons, US gallons at that. So, please forgive me when I ask how many ounces of oil to one US gallon of gas to get a 10:1 mix? Thanks!

Bill in Seattle
Silver Surfer

Re: 10:1 Fuel Mix

Post by Silver Surfer »

A quick 'Google" reveals that there are 128 ounces in a US Gallon, Bill. A tenth of that is 12.8 ounces, (or 13 if you can't be that precise) 8)
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

For one US gallons for a 10:1 mix you will add 12.8 US Ounces.
Or in Liters, one liter of fuel to 100 milliliters of oil for 10:1

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marineoilfuelcalc.html

http://www.britishseagullparts.com/engine-fuelratio.htm
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

128, shouldn'y that be 12.8
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Thanks Silver Surfer and Keith P. In round numbers, 13 ounces for 1 US gallon it shall be!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

This question sure as heck has me worried especially as I live somewhere that depends on US power and muscle to keep things level and at ease.
Hope your military and naval boys can work things out better .
Imagine the problems if wrong fuel mixtures are used and heaven forbid outboards give up the ghost while crossing the wide Pacific prior to visiting some errant nutter .
Just does not deserve thinking about.
I should imagine though that 50-1 or lesser ratios would be involved and that should ease the problems.
That comes out at 2.8 ounces per gallon reducing costings quite a bit although its likely savings on this scale do not need to be entertained .
I bet some of the larger flying things cost a few bob ,or a couple of dollars but then don't get me onto exchange rates.
The suns out , rising up, seems like a great day ahead, think I'll go down and tinker a bit with the gulls and clean up my fishing kite which I have relined with braid instead of nylon.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Never seen a Kite other than in NZ, we don't know what they are.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Not really seen around here but this is interesting

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=fish ... 66&bih=615

BnC

A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

These kites have been around here for say 10 years plus. I'd say they are all land based and are not used off boats.
Various sizes for different wind speeds and performances .
Mine is a general purpose alrounder, designed for winds 5-30kpm and dragging out up to 20 hooks 1km or so.
It has a drogue, a small stabilizer flying 2-3 m out the back to stabilize flight and to make controlling relatively easy.
Using 60 ib main line it has a drop line maybe 100m from the kite that drops a container to the water then another weighted line to the bottom and finally the hooked section along the sea floor .Has the safety angle of retaining your kite and main line if anything goes wrong below.
Larger stronger kites, can handle stronger winds and stronger lines, have just one heavier main line, hooked and baited, dragged out along the bottom then rises up to the kite.
Stronger but also prone to loss or damage if something big chews the line.
You can use mono line or braid .Braid of course is smaller and lighter but a curse to pull back in esp from a km out. Some use electric winches to haul the line back in whereas I just glove up , wrap the line around the hand and walk back up and down the beach till all in.
Slow but enjoyable although a winch would be nice.
These kites also do not usually drift off line providing the wind stays up thus side currents are overcome.
These kites are of course at the mercy of correct winds although you are able to alter direction up to say 45 degrees .
With a good wind they can tow the lines out through very rough surf out into the beyond , near enough to where the seas tip off the planet.
There are 2 other competitors to this system.
The fishing torpedo that tow their lines out up to 2kms , various performances , size of motors, with or without winches , usually with simple manually set rudders but now there is the gps system which ensures they reach a set location but once there they are then open to current drift .
Expensive though, a good torpedo , gear , winch etc roughly 3-5 grand.
I had an early model which although great in calmer waters struggled in wilder west coast surf conditions.
Then then and I'm not going to get one, there are the bait launchers .
Heavy duty high pressure plumbing pipe and quick release valves, pumped up to 100lb plus to throw out a sinker and bait 150 - 300 metres , say $350 to $800 all up Have'nt seen many in use .Hand held smaller models up to bigger ones on tripods.
If NZ gets attacked we might not be able to hurt you but at least we can bombard your landing craft with enough rotten bait via kites torpedoes and rocket launchers to let you know we are not too happy.
Enough enough.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The first I saw, was when a train driver (another Seagull racer) who was giving me a ride in the engine between Dunedin & Omaru or Timaru stopped to show me the Meraki boulders, a fisherman had one on the beach there, this was around the Millennium time.

I think I still have the brussel sprout sized boulder I stole from the beach, it came apart like a 3D jigsaw.

Please forgive my spelling.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Interesting you mentioned Moeraki, the small nth Otago town.
Famous for its boulders and tonight on local tv also famous for its being overrun by rabbits,
Talk of "a moving carpet of rabbits"
And for safety reasons the locals are not allowed to feed them lead.