This is Cool!

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: This is Cool!

Post by Charles uk »

Are you sure Bruce, there are quite a few jobs that will need doing, to put that back to right.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Charles uk wrote:Are you sure Bruce, there are quite a few jobs that will need doing, to put that back to right.
Got the bits all in boxes and around the gardens.

Best way to use them up else just a parts list.

Easy.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Isn't Ringwood East in Melbourne?
Collector Inspector

Charles uk wrote:Isn't Ringwood East in Melbourne?

So............just a local town.

Contacts Mate.

BnC
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Charles, can i ask what you think "needs doing" to get this back to right?

From what i can see it looks like a goer as is.

Apart from stating the obvious like a tank refurb and a replacement gearbox so it conforms to engine serial number at least, maybe strip off the blue paint that shouldn't be there, possibly replace a few nuts and bolts here and there, i reckon its pretty much there from the get go, but as we keep saying each to their own.

Nice buy if Bruce can get it.
I like it just the way it is, even if the decal is a bit faded. Looks a very honest 102 for its age.

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You've given most of my list, Jon but the tank doesn't need doing, original decal adds value, but this is a decorators refurb, paint just about everything, badly assembled & ignore the mechanicals.

I wouldn't buy that one, I like them honest!
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I wouldn't say there's THAT much that's badly assembled.
Clutch rod (how many times have we seen that before) and maybe the throttle. Perhaps the odd split pin needs bending over and trimming to length but that's nothing.
Sure, there's a few bolts etc. that probably shouldn't be there, and then there's that blue paint.
Ignoring the wrong box for a moment, the rest of it looks bloody good to me, but as you say there might be some nasties lurking inside. Easy enough to sort out as long as the cylinder hasn't crumbled away to dust on the inside. (chances are that it'll be a good 'un)

It's honest enough for me anyway. An afternoon's work would soon have it looking a bit more normal and with any luck running again.
I'm sure Bruce likes it in another way.
Go on Bruce, buy it.
You know you want it.

The interesting thing for me is that i have 2 other 102's of almost identical age just like this one. 13,705 and a 14,088 serial number, 1 direct drive and the other a clutched. Everything on them right down to nuts bolts washers etc. is the same, with maybe a few exceptions on this one that Bruce has eyed up i'd say maybe even built within a few months of each other. And for the record, my AD has it's drive tube already pre-drilled and tapped for a clutch pivot stud. I've got other direct drive 102's with the same provision both earlier and later than what we're talking about here.
Don't get me wrong, i've also seen in other seagulls that the drive tube is genuinely blanked off, nothing drilled anywhere, just as they're supposed to be for a direct drive motor. Just seems a bit strange to me that i see this sort of thing to be very prolific in 102's. Again, is this an AUS thing or a UK thing or has something else happened along the way.
Strangely normal, but oddly different!

Another thing that has me wondering is how were these seagulls transported around the world during the late 40's-early 50's. By sea or by air?
I would have thought that by sea would work out better rather than flying even though a boat/ship would probably take around 6 weeks (ish) to get to AUS from say Portsmouth or London.

We still don't know who this Jonathon is?
Who is he? Someone you know down under?

Jon
Collector Inspector

"Go on Bruce, buy it.
You know you want it."

Thank you Jon.

I realised last night that a member of our Gulling fraternity has been wanting something like this for a long time. I contacted him and yes, he is "all over it!"

Sometimes I have a take no prisoners approach to wanting something that turns up on Ebay. I know that some of you are aware of that. I stated my desire to bid.......

I am not going to bid now for the reason above.

I wish him success as it will really make his year.

Regards

BnC
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Fair play Bruce.

Let someone else have the enjoyment of getting to know an old gull such as this.

.....and does anybody know who Jonathon is?
It's not me by the way.

Jon
Collector Inspector

Thank you Jon

Yes Fair Play indeed.

A fair bit of desire here in WA ..........MY grapevine sings.

My long term grapevine that always will be very different from that of other parties.

So interesting to see how this boxed bird fairs aye.

BnC
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

AUD $715 or £417 Sterling.

A crate making business could be the go.
Collector Inspector

Hugz wrote:AUD $715 or £417 Sterling.

A crate making business could be the go.

It would be a reproduction crate biz Hugo. Making the special fasteners and other bits would be very time consuming. Getting the correct timber close even would be daunting.

I think original crates will always be the only choice.

Yes it was an interesting result and my friend is stoked!

8)

BnC
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Talking of crates, how did Bruce get on with replicating one?
From memory going back a couple of years i remember B expressing an interest in having a go at making one or two.

For me anyway, getting the details spot on for a box isn't quite such a big thing, more the dimensions depending on what's going inside the box.
This could end up being a better way of long term storage for our gulls instead of a rack against a wall in a shed or garage. I for one would be interested in some plans if there are any :P

Wow, £417 sterling is a strong price in some people's eyes for a 1950's 102. Mind you,the chrome is very good on it. Too rich for me.
Hope Hugo's friend isn't going to hide this one away for years. Would be good to see it back on a transom soon.

Jon
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Talking of crates, how did Bruce get on with replicating one?
From memory going back a couple of years i remember B expressing an interest in having a go at making one or two.

For me anyway, getting the details spot on for a box isn't quite such a big thing, more the dimensions depending on what's going inside the box.
This could end up being a better way of long term storage for our gulls instead of a rack against a wall in a shed or garage. I for one would be interested in some plans if there are any :P

Wow, £417 sterling is a strong price in some people's eyes for a 1950's 102. Mind you,the chrome is very good on it. Too rich for me.
Hope B's friend isn't going to hide this one away for years. Would be good to see it back on a transom soon.

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Another 'D' with clutch

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doncast ... 1165026884

Seems to be a lot of D's with clutches down under!