You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Alfabud
rod rest

Post by Alfabud »

bought rod rests last yr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-ABS-Boat-F ... SwiONYN-~3

they really suck

anybody bought rod rests that r good and will last.
you live and learn, then you die and forget it all.
tambikeboy

Re: rod rest

Post by tambikeboy »

£25.99 for 2x rod rests i thought you were glaswegian at that price I'd be wanting the boat too :evil: :twisted: :evil:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Best to have a custom set made.

These work on the same sort of principle as those linked in your post. They are made from heavy gauge 316 Stainless and will last a life time. Definitely no cheap though.
My565370.jpg
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

PS: Cheaper copies imported from China are available through eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STAINLESS-ST ... Swz71ZPL6I

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Spiro
ollyboy11

Post by ollyboy11 »

g'day, i bought a pair of those cheap rod holders only they didn't turn out to be that cheap, the first time i used them i lost a brand new expensive rod and reel over the side, i had baited it up and let it out and put it in the holder while i rigged up another line, i heard a noise and looked up to see my new rod and reel disappearing at a great rate in a line of bubbles.

it turns out the ratchet or serrations between the sides were not deep enough and you can tighten the knob up till you are blue in the face but when you push down on the front of the holder it just goes down. and that's what happened to my rod.

i may have solved the problem by setting the thing at about 45deg and put a pop rivet in from both sides, it means i can't adjust the angle but that's ok but i still don't know if i trust them. regards peter
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

G'day Peter, these rod holders work best when they are set a few degrees above horizontal - refer pictures of my boat.

The idea is that you fish with the reel in gear approx. 1kg or less depending on target species. The fish essentially hook themselves and thus load up the rod. With the rod loaded, tilt up to release from the holder. Sometimes it pays to crank the handle on the reel a few turns before lifting ie as this will ensure the fish is well hooked.

The concept (fixed type as on my boat) comes from Victoria, Australia and was developed around our Snapper fishing.
Slide1.JPG
Some bright spark then decided to make an adjustable version, which has brought about the problems you and others have experienced. The idea with these adjustable units is to lock them as solidly as possible once you have your desired settings established.

Regards,
Spiro
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

That is a nice size Snapper you have there! Good stuff!!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Just a baby, a tad over 5kg.

Earlier that day, my friend Haf (pictured below) bagged his first ever Snapper ... 6.2kg.
Slide2.JPG
Not a bad way to open the account.

Regards,
S
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Not bad at all. Thumbs up
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
ollyboy11

Post by ollyboy11 »

geez Spiro, you'd get hung in Qld for having that many rods out, 3 max each with 2 hooks max per person, and with the tidal run we get here you'd end up with a big tangled mess.

the black ones have been around for donkey's years, i've had them before and had no probs but this generation is crap, there are dearer ones of course but you would be better off getting your type that go in the rowlock hole

nice fish by the way

regards, peter
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

We're the same down here Peter, max 3 rods out per person, also max 2 hooks per line.

The 'extra' rod holders allow for repositioning of rods to compensate for wind and tide directions. Saves me having to put the boat on bridle, which of course can be a problem in the rough. Better fishing that way also as I don't have to worry about fish getting caught up in the second anchor rope.

We generally fish much shallower than you guys. Most fishing is done in the bays (PPB and WP) where max depths are around 23m.
Not uncommon to be chasing big snapper in 6m or less water so they tend to fight pretty hard.

Regards,
Spiro
ollyboy11

Post by ollyboy11 »

g'day again, we fish in shallower water here in the bay too, under 10m i prefer not to use a sinker if the run is not too crazy.
you have to go out pretty wide to get more than 30m, that's where the big reds are. regards peter