fuel tap

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

ollyboy11

fuel tap

Post by ollyboy11 »

g'day again, another small prob i've read John's faqs regarding this, and boiling it up, but i can't get the plunger out and i don't want to force it and wreck the cork.
Silver Surfer

Re: fuel tap

Post by Silver Surfer »

Once you've got the little screw out of the side, try squirting a little WD-40 down the screw hole. Wait a while, and if it still doesn't budge, just pull harder, as you'll probably need a new cork anyway, if it's sticking that badly.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Put a cup full of fuel mix in the tank tighten the cap & air vent, lean it over so the fuel tap is under fuel & leave it out in the sun for a couple of days.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Heat it up over the gas stove while holding the fuel tap with a pair of pliers. 20 seconds should be more than enough to get things moving again and before it gets too hot to handle.

I've done this countless times before with old plungers, and it works well enough although nowhere as good as replacing the cork altogether. That little screw can be a bugger and DON'T LOSE IT otherwise you'll be cursing :evil:
The rest is fairly straightforward once you've got the plunger removed from the tap body.

Happy boiling :P

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Or buy a Seagull fuel tap repair kit from John Williams, & you'll get a new cork & a new screw!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
ollyboy11

Post by ollyboy11 »

g'day guys, i did the wd40 thing and left a couple of hours and it was still very solid but i gently but firmly wriggled and pulled and it came out and it was ok so i did the boiling trick and it was too big to go back in so i oiled and greased it and left it a while and got it back in and works fine, so thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated, peter