Post by deano »

Thanks for the ideas.
Why not just block up the hole with chewing gum china.... :lol: :lol:
Any particular brand?
Im thinking:
gum.jpg
gum.jpg (2.87 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Never leave shore without it !

I will have a look at a Bing if my plastic bottle doesn't work. I assume that I would need a different throttle cable as well, and having a quick look they're not cheap. I've already spent enough and I'm not even on the water yet !
headdownarseup

Re: Float Bowl Question

Post by headdownarseup »

Throttle cables for the villiers and bing carbs are slightly different. Throttle levers are different too if you're going with a Bing.

Your current set-up with the villiers carb, despite having a few flaws, is by far the easiest option to use on your featherweight 40. Apart from a few dribbles of fuel there's not a lot that goes wrong with these. Just keep the carb and fuel system clean and it will run for years and years. It will also have the right "look" on your mirror dinghy. A perfect match... :P

Jon
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

Jeez, sorry!!!! Never seen anything on a 40 other than a Villiers or Bing. Carb insert eh? I so want one. And the air intake cover is a weak spot, the GF model I paid £18.00 for recently had a perfect Bing carb nissing its cover. What a shame. Oh well.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

No need to be sorry.

I've seen all manner of "bitsa's" by now.

A lot of the Amal 400 type carbs got fitted to later seagulls from 81-82 onwards, including the smaller featherweight engines. Towards the end of production they even got twist grip throttles and CDI ignitions, which some of the purists frown upon. I like 'em though :P

Your little featherweight from the late 70's falls into the "classic" range of seagulls, although there's nothing stopping you from fitting a later carb to it provided you can find the right carb to fit your 40 engine block.

Jon
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Here is a cheap bing carb for anyone who needs it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Seagu ... Swgv5ZXSeP

Amal 416 and twistgrip:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-SEAGU ... SwceNZXkXo
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Jon 1979/80 was the year of changes, that was the year that all the classic Seagulls were fitted with CDI's & they also go the benefit of getting fitted with a 400 series carb.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

:P i knew that :roll:

:oops: my bad (just checked my own EFNRL 1043gg9)

Here's some evidence if it were needed of later 40's with Amal 400 carbs for those that don't know or have never seen one like it.
http://www.britishseagullparts.com/outb ... us.htm#SEF

Hope this helps :P

Jon