PHOTOBUCKET RANSOM - BEWARE

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

PHOTOBUCKET RANSOM - BEWARE

Post by AusAnzani »

Be aware, Photobucket.com which claims to have more than 100 million members and 15 billion hosted images has recently changed its terms and is now demanding an annual fee of $99-400 from people who link images to 3rd party sites like SOS, eBay, Gumtree etc etc.

The change in terms means that all images linked from Photobucket are no longer visible ... and will remain that way until the annual fee is paid. Users all over the internet are referring to this as PHOTOBUCKET RANSOM. Some have gone so far as to say that it has killed the internet.

All of the effort put in over the years to show, to help educate, and to preserve some of our history, all of that is lost thanks to Photobucket.com. :evil:
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Re: PHOTOBUCKET RANSOM - BEWARE

Post by Hugz »

Still works for me?? I have about 300 images on there. Maybe they have had a change of heart.

From photobucket.

Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Seems to be working for me too, I only use that site to host the odd Video, as I would never use a site to save my pictures, no need to do it.
Plus I think that after the loss of pictures on this site once before, all pictures get saved that have been added to this site since, so they shouldn't be lost.
Back up drives are cheap now, I'm sitting on about 8TB of available backup, plus I can always use my own websites to host.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Don't be too confident. Prepare for it happening.

Something like this you would slide in gradually to access public reaction, whether their accounting system can cope with all the payments & how many customers per thousand cough up.

Getting shafted hurts far less if you slide it in gradually, so the screams won't have the same volume!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Charles uk wrote:Don't be too confident. Prepare for it happening.

Something like this you would slide in gradually to access public reaction, whether their accounting system can cope with all the payments & how many customers per thousand cough up.

Getting shafted hurts far less if you slide it in gradually, so the screams won't have the same volume!
Yeah, that's what I would have thought too, but this has not been gradual. The number of complaints on the internet is HUGE.

Let's see if they take note of the backlash and have a change of heart. By not doing that, they will simply bring about their own demise.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

How do l get my pic back from photobucket? I can link it to site but it would still be hosted by pb. I could screenshot them but the quality would deteriote. For that matter is there a way of taking quality screenshots?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

You can download your photobucket pics or albums directly to your hard drive.

Just log in to photobucket as you normally would, and you should see a block of text on the right hand side as you scroll down. There you will find a variety of links including delete album, download album etc etc.

I've just deleted approx. 500 non-outboard related images and am still sitting at 35% capacity used. Plan is to download my albums after they've wards, but leave them on photobucket also in case they have a change of heart.

One thing is for certain, they're not getting a penny out of me purely on principal.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Thank Spiro. I found that I had to click on the cog symbol top right of photo and then a drop list comes in and hit download that then downloads to my computer which I can then find and drag into a folder. This all happens while navigating between adverts :shock: Busy day tomorrow. I use dropbox but they might do the same thing. An external hard drive might be my next purchase.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

All of my pics are no longer! :evil:
There is and will be a lot of pi55ed off people.... and I am one of them! :x
2321 photos in many folders, posted in forums over the past 12 years. there is no way Im paying $400. I dont think I will even bother to try and download that amout of photos.... it would take days. And even if I did download all of then the forums still wont work!
I think the best think to do if you have a photobuck account is DELETE it!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
pat777

Post by pat777 »

I recently joined Flickr, similar service, currently free,well their basic service is free anyway.

https://www.flickr.com/

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/ph ... -charging/
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am using Tinypic for the time being, but it is another photobucket company and they could start charging to use that.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I for one now have no need for the Bucket of..........fill in the blanks as you see fit.

Great for linking to posts while it lasted as I found far easier than the previously indicated problems I had uploading to SOS directly.

This stimulating progress, moving forwards in 2nd reverse gear that seems to be the way of the overly stifled world that we try to resist aye.

I am closing my account.

I have all manner of add blockers so the Bucket of........never got a cent anyway.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Please ignore this post.

Just testing to see what options are available.

Regards,
S
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

Dear all

Just goes to show what happens when you get involved with some crapola app. Never did like them, never will. The kids are not all right. In fact most of them are bang wrong...
Everybody who has a web account has some level of server space to host your own website so all stuff like that can be linked, shared, downloaded etc. But in the end the only solution for stuff you cant bear to lose is a backup and maybe a copy of a backup.

Loved the pic though, can I have a copy of it please Hugz? It is so wildly un-PC! I'll PM you my email address. Email is so last year...
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

fleetingcontact wrote:Loved the pic though, can I have a copy of it please Hugz? It is so wildly un-PC! I'll PM you my email address. Email is so last year...
I can do better than that. Here is a link to the Nostalgia page on the main site: http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/no ... talgia.htm 8)
Last edited by Hugz on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.