FV 8905 Forty for sale

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Guy Maxwell
FV 8905 Forty for sale

Post by Guy Maxwell »

Hello Everyone.

Several years ago I rescued a 'forty' from a farmers barn. Stripped it down, cleaned it up, spark at the plug, fires but never run as I think it needs a longer plug. Now having moved house I need to pass the history on!! Rather than have it dismantled via an Ebayer I would rather it goes for a senible price to a home where it would be cherished. I have photos which I am happy to email to anyone interested and happy to answer any questions that i can. email - maxwell_guy@hotmail.com. Based near Thetford.

Guy Maxwell
Gannet

Re: FV 8905 Forty for sale

Post by Gannet »

Surely there must be lots of people after an FV. These are to my mind the very best Seagulls. Although I know that l am very slightly biased. They are easily powerful enough to be used on a small dinghy. Another big advantage is their weight - they are the smallest and lightest Seagulls, which is excellent for creaking backs. They look so period with their small round tank, and their metal fuel pipe etc etc. So don't let this one be stripped down and sold in bits.
Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I'm after an older FV to go with a slightly younger FV in my flock.
I can find a good home for it :P even if i am a 102 guy at heart. I still like these little 'uns. Cute aren't they :P

Jon
Guy Maxwell

Post by Guy Maxwell »

Hello Jon,

If you would like some pictures then email me on maxwell_guy@hotmail.com and I be happy to send back to you. Sorry, IT skill are not up to much with forums

Regards,

Guy
Guy Maxwell

Post by Guy Maxwell »

My sentiments exactly Jeremy. I know I could break it up on Ebay but it's all original as far as I know and in one pice. Once it's sold for parts its gone!
Guy
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

But 4 or 5 more might be back to running & looking good.

With Marstons, we work on the principle, that it is better to have 4 complete working motors than 5 incomplete!

That's unless some one starts remanufacturing/refurbishing parts, but with a new drive shaft tube costing at a guess £60 to £70, & a high compression cylinder head for an LLS at about £120 (on a 16 off basis including fixtures & patterns, prices about 18 months old).
The FV series head would require a more complex/expensive pattern & one extra fixture, that would probably on a similar sized batch incur an increased cost of £10 to £15 each.
It would be a brave man would make an investment of that size, with such a distant breakeven point!

It's different with Marstons a much higher value motor, where owners will pay £54 for a pair of transom screws, but breaking poor examples has helped reduce considerably the number of "only missing a couple of parts" examples
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I see that seagull are now selling driveshafts again. I'm sure SOS will be able to provide the same.

http://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/b ... ive-shafts
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

That is a fair point Charles, but sometimes sentiment has a place over cold logic. An outboard that has been together for 67 years deserves to survive a bit longer. Not logical, l know, but fiddling around with these old outboarsd isn't exactly logical or sensible!
Jeremy
secretagentmole

Post by secretagentmole »

Oyster 49 wrote:I see that seagull are now selling driveshafts again. I'm sure SOS will be able to provide the same.

http://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/b ... ive-shafts
Should I rebuild the 40 Minus?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It might pay to ring them, to see if they have any in stock, as when a friend rang them 5 weeks ago "the computer said no!", but he was lucky John had a new one in a dealer stock that he'd recently bought, & I hand carried it over to Bermuda for him.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I work on the principle of as and when i see brand new parts and can afford them then buy 'em if they're useful . You never know when another chance will present itself.
Second-hand spare parts will always be around, some in better condition than others it's true. You pays your money and takes a choice.

Jon