Seagull remotes

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Win307

Seagull remotes

Post by Win307 »

Hi my Mercury 40 blueband packed in and I have now replacing it on my Dejon 14" boat for fishing with... wait for it.. YES a Seagull 100 with clutch. (I know its not as powerful, but won't break down every few trips) My Seagull 40 plus has been used as a backup a lot during 2016
My question is has anyone fitted remotes to a seagull (Perhaps bolted something onto the tiller) I am going to try and come up with some ideas
pat777

Re: Seagull remotes

Post by pat777 »

When you say remotes are you talking about remoting the throttle or the steering or both?
pat777

Remote steering photo's

Post by pat777 »

If you click on the link below, you will be redirected to my flickr account and I have uploaded some photographs of my hook up to a teleflex steering system. Hope this helps. It is basically using a seagull engine mounting lug and a piece of steel and a few washers for strengthening and a stainless steel swivel jaw and jaw.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151850923@N05/o8471m

Engine mounting lug

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/bu ... spares.htm

https://marineparts.ie/above-deck/shack ... d-jaw-6mm/
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

What happens when you tilt the motor Pat?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

I didn't know I had to tilt the motor?

Can you elaborate a bit, what exactly you mean.

It works fine for me anyway, it's got full movement left and right, but I just use the boat on the canal.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

I went out and tilted the motor and it would not clip in to the "lugs" that hold it at different angles due to the addition of the engine mounting lug that raises the height of outboard by the width of the engine mounting lug. I guess maybe the propeller may not be pointing at the correct angle when in the water?

All I can say is that boat pushes along nicely on the canal with the angle that the outboard is currently set at.

The boat is a Norman 17. Picture below (not my actual boat)

Last edited by pat777 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Finally I worked out how to post pictures on the forum with the "flickr" account. You need to use the "bbcode" function and copy the link.

ImageWP_20170620_19_56_45_Pro by pat seagulldexta, on Flickr

ImageWP_20170620_19_58_55_Pro by pat seagulldexta, on Flickr
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

That's a clever adaption. Well done.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Hugz wrote:That's a clever adaption. Well done.
....patent pending!
Win307

Post by Win307 »

pat777 wrote:When you say remotes are you talking about remoting the throttle or the steering or both?
Its for steering really, but have the cables for throttle also.
Win307

Post by Win307 »

pat777 wrote:Finally I worked out how to post pictures on the forum with the "flickr" account. You need to use the "bbcode" function and copy the link.

ImageWP_20170620_19_56_45_Pro by pat seagulldexta, on Flickr

ImageWP_20170620_19_58_55_Pro by pat seagulldexta, on Flickr
Hey thanks Pat. That looks perfect
Win307

Re: Remote steering photo's

Post by Win307 »

pat777 wrote:If you click on the link below, you will be redirected to my flickr account and I have uploaded some photographs of my hook up to a teleflex steering system. Hope this helps. It is basically using a seagull engine mounting lug and a piece of steel and a few washers for strengthening and a stainless steel swivel jaw and jaw.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151850923@N05/o8471m

Engine mounting lug

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/bu ... spares.htm

https://marineparts.ie/above-deck/shack ... d-jaw-6mm/
Thanks. Is the lug for a 40 ?
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Just make sure that if you go along with this method, that the engine mounting lug is not fouling the clutch lever.

Also depending where your teleflex steering system is currently coming out at the transom, it may need moving to line up right with the stainless steel swivel jaw and jaw.

Mine is free moving and "in line" and not under any strain.

And finally it is quite important to strengthen up the engine mounting lug with a piece of steel as it is quite thin in places and I'm not sure how long it would last without the additional strengthening.

ImageWP_20170620_19_58_21_Pro by pat seagulldexta, on Flickr
Win307

Post by Win307 »

pat777 wrote:Just make sure that if you go along with this method, that the engine mounting lug is not fouling the clutch lever.

Also depending where your teleflex steering system is currently coming out at the transom, it may need moving to line up right with the stainless steel swivel jaw and jaw.

Mine is free moving and "in line" and not under any strain.

And finally it is quite important to strengthen up the engine mounting lug with a piece of steel as it is quite thin in places and I'm not sure how long it would last without the additional strengthening.

ImageWP_20170620_19_58_21_Pro by pat seagulldexta, on Flickr
Thanks again.
Just bought a lug on ebay a
and looking at these.
https://www.s3i.co.uk/swivel-jaw-jaw.php
I guess its the 8mm one.. Will need to check my steering rod. Mine is similar to that only comes in from the starboard side
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The motor needs to tilt when you hit a supermarket trolley or any other underwater obstacle & you still need to steer afterwards, more so in a canal with hard banks & boats coming towards you.

Look at all the Seagull racing pics you can find, many have wheel steering & remote throttles.
I doubt the safety scrutineers would let you run yours as when you hit an obstacle & the motor tilts it will try & lift the transom bracket off the transom!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.