How many pulls to start?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Re: How many pulls to start?

Post by Gannet »

Good to hear from you Jon,
Yes, FV 2682 is one of my favourites and l know that you have straightend up its original flywheel. I on a boating holiday in south Devon and Cornwallat the moment so FV 2682 has been in use quite a lot. It let me down on start 14 as it needed 3 pulls! Although starts 15 and 16 were first time starts. I will try a hand spin start and will let you know the result. Has it got to be in the water for this test? I would imagine the smaller lower power ones would struggle to fire up and run in the water compared to being in fresh air.
We will have a chat after my hols.
Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

"has it got to be in the water"?

For the purpose of "hand starting" then yes. :lol: Get Bobby to sit up front for an easier start.
GO CAREFUL 'ol fella, don't sprain your wrist :roll: , although i can imagine with low compression it should be a doddle to turn over by hand :P
There's a bit of a technique with it mind you. Happy spinning

I look forward to your phone call when you're back :P

Jon
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Jon,
Back home in the workshop, l tried to start FV2682 and FV3048 by just a hand spin, but failed in both cases. This was directly after they had just run for a few seconds with a rope start. I expect it is down to my poor technique!
I think that l will continue to rely on the normal rope start!

By the way over my 2 week boating holiday, l started FV2682 twenty one times. In twenty times it started first pull. Once it needed 3 pulls and that was probably my fault as it was a very hot day and I gave it full choke. I also gave FV3048 an outing and it started first pull 7 out of 8 starts.

This made me wonder what is the normal starting performance of Seagulls in general. For example with your 102s, what percentage of starts are first pull starts?

Can other people describe their engine starting performance.

Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

In reply to "how many pulls to start" with a 102, as an average most of mine reluctantly bark into life after about 3 attempts on the rope. Once fully warmed up they're pretty good after that.

It's probably worth mentioning that with a lot of the older motors there is something of a procedure to follow before attempting a start. Ignore this procedure and you'll probably end up with a sore shoulder. With practice on a favorite seagull the starting procedure becomes second nature.

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The motor I use most often is my first FVP, one pull on choke, second pull it's running, its always seems to have much more compressing than other motors I have used, always one pull once its been running.
But then it's a little unfair, as I think the Villiers carb motor is much easier to start than the Amal twin jet motor.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Keith,

That is an interesting comment about the Villiers versus the Amal.
Yes the FV/FVP models do seem to have highly variable compression values. My experience suggests that this is often a dimensional issue. Whether this is due to variation on initial build at BS or subsequent rebuilds is difficult to say. But engines like your FVP with plenty of compression go very well. Probably\possibly first time starts are improved with a decent compression.
My FV2682 also has good compression and behaved very satisfactorily for the last fortnight on my dinghy in the estuary in south Devon. 20 first pull starts out of 21 cannot be bad and it gives one the confidence to let go of the pontoon or boat before starting it up.

Jeremy