Seagull at sea.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: Seagull at sea.

Post by Keith.P »

So you have a 40 minus 4 blade hydro prop and a 40 minus cloverleaf prop, its not a weed free prop, and most probably off a SJM, not a common prop and very hard to find if you wanted one.
secretagentmole

Post by secretagentmole »

Keith.P wrote:So you have a 40 minus 4 blade hydro prop and a 40 minus cloverleaf prop, its not a weed free prop, and most probably off a SJM, not a common prop and very hard to find if you wanted one.
Oh I thought it was a weedfree looking at the shape, it does say 40 minus on it!

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/mikec ... ort=3&o=10

I got most of the rest of the engine to go with it too!

What is an SJM?
secretagentmole

Keith.P wrote:So you have a 40 minus 4 blade hydro prop and a 40 minus cloverleaf prop, its not a weed free prop, and most probably off a SJM, not a common prop and very hard to find if you wanted one.
The parts outboard I bought was an SJM,

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/mikec ... g.html?o=0

So was the SJM a rare version?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

An SJM is an SJP with A minus gearbox.
The SJP, which is basically a forty plus seagull and is one, if not the most common seagull models ever made, but the SJM, is not that common.
A lot of minus gearboxes didn't last that well.
They are known as cloverleaf props,, weedless, are a more modern looking prop.

Cloverleaf props.
Canon DIGITAL IXUS 90 IS045.JPG
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Or put another way, the SJ series of motors was a continuation from the previous series of outboards in the "little model 40" series e.g. F,FV,FVP and LS although some folks seem to frown on the LS as not being within the same family of engines. The jury is still out on that one...

The SJ part of the serial number refers to (according to Jeremy) Sealed Jacket and the M or P referring to Minus or Plus. Minus being the smaller gearbox and prop, Plus being the bigger gearbox and prop.

But yeah, proper SJM's are quite scarce compared to their bigger cousins as Keith has mentioned ,the smaller gearboxes didn't last very well due to there not being very much lubrication in such a small gearbox and over time through normal use the oil leaks out and gets replaced with mostly water. The case hardening wears off the gears and it all goes wrong from there VERY QUICKLY unless you keep a close eye on the oil level.

Jon
Henk

Post by Henk »

I like my engine, because it pushes my boat.
secretagentmole

headdownarseup wrote:Or put another way, the SJ series of motors was a continuation from the previous series of outboards in the "little model 40" series e.g. F,FV,FVP and LS although some folks seem to frown on the LS as not being within the same family of engines. The jury is still out on that one...

The SJ part of the serial number refers to (according to Jeremy) Sealed Jacket and the M or P referring to Minus or Plus. Minus being the smaller gearbox and prop, Plus being the bigger gearbox and prop.

But yeah, proper SJM's are quite scarce compared to their bigger cousins as Keith has mentioned ,the smaller gearboxes didn't last very well due to there not being very much lubrication in such a small gearbox and over time through normal use the oil leaks out and gets replaced with mostly water. The case hardening wears off the gears and it all goes wrong from there VERY QUICKLY unless you keep a close eye on the oil level.

Jon
I have a complete gearbox for an SJM as well!

Have not got all the gaskets for it, but the gears fit and turn well, no problem!
As always open to offers!!!!
Last edited by secretagentmole on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I would not describe SJM engines as scarce, plenty of them about.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Not scarce, but not as common as the SJP, or common until you want one.
A little like the wartime SD really, pretty common as every ones has got one or two or three. :P
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Not being funny, but judging by the photo that pinion gear looks pretty worn to me. I bet there's some slop in the shaft/bearing too.

What does the bigger gear and shaft look like? Pointy/sharp looking gear teeth usually point to heavy wear. Tis a very common thing in these minus gearboxes now.

Just saying

Jon