Bridge building & SD research

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Bridge building & SD research

Post by Oyster 49 »

As most of us know, SD engines were in Army service during WW2 (and beyond) and used a universal mount that allowed them to be side mounted and fitted to Army FBE's (Folding boat equipment) and also to other small craft as seen in the footage of the army assisting during the hamburg floods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bY3F75Rp0

Alas, still no footage food of a seagull at work during the war, but at some point we will find something.

I've been doing some research and discovered a dated document that shows that testing took place with a Marston FNR engine in 1936. This must have been what eventually led to the later seagull fitted with a sidemount intended for use with FBE's either as bridge pontoons, or bolted together to make rafts and river ferries.

The photos were taken on the river Stour at Christchurch, the location is clearly visible on google maps. The disused dock area is the former home of the Experimental Bridging Unit. I bet Charles SP will know all about this location.

I have ordered some further documents to see where that takes me. It's a slow process but it's all about gathering the facts. Not cheap either as each copied document is £10. That said the scanning is excellent. Hope this is of interest.
Attachments
River Stour Christchurch.jpg
Marston dinghy.jpg
Marston dinghy.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 323 times
FBE surviving.jpg
FBE marston.jpg
charlesp

Re: Bridge building & SD research

Post by charlesp »

I don't know very much about the Establishment at all, except that it's there and that they did indeed test a Marston - my copy of those documents includes a photo of a gentleman standing holding the engine - he is wearing an absolutely splendid flat hat. Naturally, now the subject is raised I can't lay my hands on the stuff!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I have the same documents I suspect Charles, yes the guy holding the engine up has a great hat :lol:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Nice bit of research and discovery Adrian.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Hail/hail keep up the good work china 8)
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow