Introduction

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

StuartRB

Introduction

Post by StuartRB »

Hello

Just thought i'd say hello.

Recently 'acquired' what I think is a 1966 Forty Plus and going to have a go at getting it running.

I know very little about engines but do remember my father having one when I was but a lad.

I'm not sure when this one last ran, all I know is the guy who owned it has been dead for 25 years.

Here's a few photos.

haventaclue

Re: Introduction

Post by haventaclue »

Welcome aboard,but please please please don't do what I did,said I would never be a collector or buy another,but for some unknown reason I did....... :shock: :lol: :lol:,I was told a clean,a new plug and fresh fuel and away you go,some chance :lol: :lol: Still didn't stop me going again, :lol: good luck with your project.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Welcome.

First thing I think you need to do is fix up that HT lead! Then check to see if you have a spark.
Change the oil in the gear box while your at it.... I bet there is none in it! (140 grade)
Drop the float bowl off the carb and give it a clean.
Add some new fuel and give it a try.

Good luck.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
StuartRB

Post by StuartRB »

So I got a new HT lead and spark plug. Still no spark so I took the flywheel off and basically poked about blindly with some light sandpaper and grease and... :idea: a lovely blue spark was born.

I took off the fuel lines and cleaned everything. Put it all back and added a little fuel and wouldn't you know it, the old girl sprang to life after only a couple of pulls.

I didn't have it in water so only left it for a few seconds - sounded really rough but maybe that's what they're like dry?

Anyway learning a lot and having a lot of fun tinkering and happy to have a result so far..!

Now to start researching the bottom half :wink: