artwork by Mr.Cobb

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

artwork by Mr.Cobb

Post by headdownarseup »

Just trying to do some research into an artist that did the artwork for British Seagull. (there may be more than one however)
All i know so far is the guys name is Cobb. Any idea on his first name? Would John know?

I'd like to find out a bit more and see if there's anything out there that might be of interest that we haven't seen before.
I rather like this sort of artwork and until recently hadn't given it a second thought.

Cheers

Jon
Keith.P

Re: artwork by Mr.Cobb

Post by Keith.P »

I suspect you are talking about David Cobb.
Also Robert E Groves, did some early adverts.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Thanks Keith and Hugo.

I sort of knew about Cobb, but didn't know about Groves.
Nice one
cheers

Jon
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

I did stacks of research a few years ago into both of them.

There's extensive biogs on both in 'The Gull' issues, which are on the main forum page as a 'sticky'.

Charles David Cobb and Robert Emmanuel Groves.

At the time I was in contact with the Groves family, of whom only one of his children is now still with us, Seonaid, who lives in the UK.

Recently had the a UK museum get in touch with me via The Gull issues, which are searchable online as they're on John's server, and was asked to put them in touch with the Groves family as the picture they wanted to use wasn't quite out of copyright. Believe it was all sorted.

Something to do with a UK/Dubai friendship exhibition.
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Thanks for that Buzzook.

Recently i've been trying to find various bits of artwork by both artists for my seagull collection. Pretty much anything with a nautical theme i like.
Even prints too as they're a bit easier to hang on a wall.
As yet, there's nothing really that jumps out at me and says "BUY ME", but i'll keep looking. :P

Jon