Meet Pricilla

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Youcanhave1

Meet Pricilla

Post by Youcanhave1 »

Meet "Pricilla the pig", one very stubborn and iron willed lady. The name has become quite fitting, but is given affectionately. She just needs to realise that my way is best.

She's been passed around as no one had a home for her, and has spent the last 5 years in a tin shed overlooking a lake. No love or care but all parts are there.

Wish me luck taming this old girl

More to follow
ADR1947 - daily aux, TC64678 - rebuild project, F871MM5 - pretty dust catcher in my shed.

Somewhere out there there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology. — Dr. Gregory House
headdownarseup

Re: Meet Pricilla

Post by headdownarseup »

"Pricilla" looks alright to me Mark.
She shouldn't take too much taming really, in fact i reckon you might think she's a big softie when she's all done.

One small thing that caught my eye though, is the tiller mounting broken on the crankcase? I can't make it out in the pics.

Jon
Youcanhave1

Post by Youcanhave1 »

Good spotting there.
Yep, a good clean break hard along the side of the crank housing. I'm waiting on the replacement part (no welds). Also the carb is sitting on my bench and the fly wheel cover is in my van waiting to go to the engravers. I'm hopeful they can laser cut the writing into a new cover. We'll see.

So I started disassembling her. The fly wheel turned freely, but the gearbox was a different story. Very stiff to move. Opened her up and not a single bit of oil left, just paste. Expected as but the further in I went, the paste almost seemed set. Almost crumbles when you squeeze it. Oh well, clean her up and see what we've got.

high quality image upload
The last image is a wooden backed poster my wife found me in an antiques shop. Thought you might like it.
ADR1947 - daily aux, TC64678 - rebuild project, F871MM5 - pretty dust catcher in my shed.

Somewhere out there there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology. — Dr. Gregory House
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Nothing unusual there Mark. sigh... it's more than likely from sitting around in a shed for years not being used and it's dried out and gone gloopy.
YUK. The grittiness is probably salt crystals.

Clean it all up and see how both the gears are. Don't lose the shims either as you'll need these when it goes back together for proper backlash.

All reasonably good so far.

Which type of cases have you bought? Ones with a 102 serial number i hope, not that it matters too much with this motor as the century/silver century cases will fit with no problems. Just make sure the transfer ports match reasonably well . You'll see exactly what i mean when you take the cylinder off the cases.

I'm loving the poster, just the job for the "man cave".

PM me if you get stuck

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Very cool poster!

What is Pricilla's number?

Looks like your having fun!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Youcanhave1

Post by Youcanhave1 »

So I've chipped away when time allows. Half the gear box is sitting in a soup pot at the back door. My better half hates my cleaners - maybe it's because they're not citrus scented. :lol:

After a bit of advice, I'm going to leave the bushings in place. One stubborn screw has confirmed this for me. Getting the square shaft off won't be an issue, but are there any sure fire ways to safely remove the rotor in one piece while leaving everything else in place?

Then it's into the soup pot for a clean :mrgreen:

Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Why do you want to take the drive shaft and impeller out? If you not going to replace the bushings there is no point! just clean the old oil and salt out of the box and put it back together (remember to put back the thrust washer the thrust washer)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Youcanhave1

Post by Youcanhave1 »

It'll make it a whole lot easier to fit it in the blasting cabinet if I take the shaft off. Also wanted to give the rotor a bit of a clean. Easier to do if it's off, but now I'm seeing it's going to be a pig of a job to remove so I'll leave it in place,