Fast 102 (is there such a thing)

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Youcanhave1

Fast 102 (is there such a thing)

Post by Youcanhave1 »

Looking for some advice for my TC 102.

As I'm waiting for a new crank housing I began thinking about practicle uses for this old girl. I've decided she's going to power my fresh water dingy that I use for hunting. She'll run me back and forward over an alpine lake with never more than two on board and a load of venison (hopefully).

Under normal conditions this won't be an issue, but when the weather packs it, it does so very quickly. So pace is what is required.... how do I best go about this without serious modification or loosing the 102 look.

I'm using a 12ft tinny and if it gets real bad I wouldn't be out there or I'd stay another night in the hut. My background in classic cars has me wondering about carb and exhaust tunning? Also what gear ratio vs prop? I'm lucky enough to have a seagull breaker/restorer I can get parts off....

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated
ADR1947 - daily aux, TC64678 - rebuild project, F871MM5 - pretty dust catcher in my shed.

Somewhere out there there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology. — Dr. Gregory House
Collector Inspector

Re: Fast 102 (is there such a thing)

Post by Collector Inspector »

Welcome aboard.

A fast 102 is something that you may not need...........in that what you need by the sounds of it is reliable.

A 12ft tinny is very light and believe me they get blown about a lot with a TC on the back. These old dears are better suited to having a solid hull and some weight so that the propeller can have some authority to control something much more stable in slightly inclement seas. They thrive on having something to "push against" is what I am trying to say.

Which TC do you have?

Engine number and a few pics would be cool.

We all love Pics aye!

I do not want to dampen enthusiasm and others will chip in I am sure.

8)

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Youcanhave1

Post by Youcanhave1 »

Will get some pics up soon (she ain't pretty .... yet)

Maybe this is the time to build a classic clinker for it?? Of course there is the small matter of her indoors..... so maybe not. On the other hand maybe my feather weight is a better option for the tinny?

I digress but as I said earlier I'm open to ideas. If she ain't suited to the tinny, then it's not an issue. Im still curious as to how (if possible) a bit more pace can be lovingly coaxed out of this old darling.
ADR1947 - daily aux, TC64678 - rebuild project, F871MM5 - pretty dust catcher in my shed.

Somewhere out there there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology. — Dr. Gregory House
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Hi youcanhave1,
where in NZ are you?
Im in Auckland, North shore.
If your close we might be able to catch up?

Flick me a PM if you dont want to say over the forum.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Youcanhave1

Post by Youcanhave1 »

Nelson, just a little ways away

headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

PM sent
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Nelson, just a little ways away
It only 3hours ! In a car then a plane.

Of course you can have a fast 102.... Put it in the back of you car!

Sent you a pm as well (that is as long as it went it looks like it was still in the out box)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

102 pushing a tinny into a light breeze ( looks like I'm speeding ... I'M NOT).... almost going backwards, very little tracking!
Attachments
R0017622.JPG
Youcanhave1

Post by Youcanhave1 »

Nudge- nice looking boat. Sadly this year would be a no go. Have a sick kiddie waiting on an op which rules me out. :roll:

Rob- that's pretty much what I'm talking about, just add alpine scenery and plenty of sand flies.

How come everybody says heat is your friend for removing stubborn parts..... but no body warns you about the cool down time if you just leave 'em on the bench? Rookie mistake :mrgreen:

headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Thick gloves! ( Not those mamby pamby rubber surgical gloves either :roll: )
I always wear 'em
They've saved me from skinning a few knuckles and from getting burnt.
You gotta look after your hands.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Nudge- nice looking boat. Sadly this year would be a no go. Have a sick kiddie waiting on an op which rules me out. :roll:
Thats a bit of a bummer! Hope you little one is all fixed up soon, never a good time to have sick kids.

One good thing, it will give an entire year to get things sorted :P

If you are having touble gettings apart, sure heat it up but you can also soak it in a diesel oil mix for a bit.... you can even heat that up a bit.

Where are the pics of what you are trying to do?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Youcanhave1

Post by Youcanhave1 »

See the "meet Pricilla" thread