LS in USA

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

water bug

LS in USA

Post by water bug »

I have a tiller for an LS that has a couple square holes and small round ones at 90 degrees from the square. What were those holes for? Had they to do with the throttle lever bracket? Were thrust blocks for LS Aluminum or Bronze, or still the cotton spool black plastic? It is winter here.
DSCN9182s.JPG
DSCN9173s.JPG
DSCN9177s.JPG
DSCN9179s.JPG
WB
tambikeboy

Re: LS in USA

Post by tambikeboy »

Never seen those holes in a tiller before .....
L.s thrust block mine are black plastic same shape as in your picture..
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Thrust blocks are plastic not aluminium and pretty common, not see square in a tiller before, a modification I suspect.

Old style are like this. :P
IMG_1310.JPG
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I've seen no end of various holes in 102 tillers before now. It seems the "spanner monkeys" get everywhere! :roll:
I had thought that some of these holes might have been drilled for a tiller extension of some description, or for a different type of throttle lever.
Either way i don't like to see any extra holes. (i like my seagulls to look as they have have done work in the past without any unnecessary modifications, slightly distressed and weathered looking,but tidy with it)

I'm sure if you ask Jeremy he will have his ideas on the matter.

BTW my early LS (18849) has cotton reel thrust blocks, and both my later LS's (35744,36688) have the plastic (reversible) type. All 3 are on Jeremy's list. Whether this is correct or not i have absolutely no idea.Sorry...

shh.. I think Jeremy might have some aluminium thrust blocks as well, both cotton reel and reversible type.
Ask him :P

Strange things these seagulls at times. They don't always follow convention, especially when several previous owners have got involved with them!

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Is it a square hole on both sides or square on one and round on the other?
If it is suqare on one round on the other, I would say it has had a coach bolt in it for a tiller extension.
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.15 KiB) Viewed 664 times
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
water bug

Post by water bug »

The are two same square holes opposite each other, and two 1/8 ( aprox 4.25 mm) holes at 90 deg. from the square ones and in line with the square ones. The grip is permanently fixed on and it is one of the ones with the name on "Dover" or ?? Cant remember. Interesting what Bodgers do. WB
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Art

God only knows what might have happened to your tiller through the mists of time. Tiller extension maybe? I must have seen around 20 different 102 tillers over the past 5 or so years with strange "extra" holes in them. It seems it happens on the smaller motors too. Spanner monkeys as i call 'em :roll:

The "DOVER" grip you mention is absolutely correct for an LS. DO NOT try to remove it or you could end up screwing it up.
I'd try and concentrate on filling the holes with something, then paint the tiller black. (remember the FV isn't painted, but the larger LS is painted)
Apart from that it's all looking good.

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

How about the side mounted tiller Jon, weren't they painted? well most of the ones that passed through my hands were.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Wonder if you could TIG the hole up without getting the grip too hot.
Put the grip in a bucket of water while the job is being done?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Tig welder and a bucket of water good idea china SEAGULL FOR SALE...
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Don't quote me on this, but just about all of the TILTING (side mounted) tillers on both early (ish) 40's and some of the slightly later 102's post 1955 with a brass tiller seem to be painted black.

If my FV,SJM, all 3 LS's and various other 102's are anything to go by, they're all painted black as well. There was plenty of old paint stuck to them before i restored them, so i saw no reason to think otherwise.
It seems that this pattern of tiller (side mounted) made its way onto several models of seagulls made from 51 approx. ( later FV's, LS's, possibly FVP's as well ,SJM,SJP,LLS,CP and so on)) up to the early 60's when the aluminium tiller seems to become more common on both sets of motors.
Aside from changes to the grip, these tillers are in production for a fair few years. Only the length seems to change between model types.

Boyd might be able to help a bit more with the 40 series motors post 55 onwards for clarification on tiller type and finish.
Jeremy can fill in the gaps from 49-55 with all the "little 40" engines.
I do what i can with the round block 102's from years 1942 (nothing pre-war as this is Charles's area of expertise) to 1980 something or other. :P The trouble with 102's is that over a 40 odd year spread of production, dozens of spec changes happen, tillers included! (not to mention all manner of bodges)

Hope this helps

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I was only talking about the FV series Jon, I've only seen 2 or 3 of the weird side tiller version ones which all had traces of black paint!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

This I the kind of things I have seen, when it comes to tillers.
If I see them, I keep a picture of them and have more than a handful of motors with paint still on tillers.
Off Ebay this one I suspect.
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Nice :lol: :lol:
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

And it has a 2 part plug cap!
"THE KING OF BLING"!