LS in USA

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

water bug

Re: LS in USA

Post by water bug »

Here are progress pictures of the LS. Have the cylinder head machined, and now the power head assembled. Will be working on assembling the water tube, the drive shaft and transmission tube, and then the gear box. Power head has new copper gaskets top and bottom of the cylinder casting. Also has new Stainless steel cylinder studs and nuts , both of which are Locktite in the crank case flange. WB
DSCN9790s.JPG
DSCN9792s.JPG
DSCN9791s.JPG
DSCN9764s.JPG
DSCN9762s.JPG
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

It maybe it's just me, but the water pump casting looks odd, where the drive tube goes into the casting, it looks to have a flat top and looks wider, machined down or something or is it just me.
Too many hours making 3D pictures and model, makes you look at everything.
water bug

Post by water bug »

Yes indeed that water pump housing is a later one , modified to be as close as I could make it to the needed LS part. Not having or finding an original part with screwed in transmission tube , I did the best I could to make one that is as correct for the LS as possible. That is the case for a number of the "bits" on this resurrection. Parts I had cast and machined include the transom clamp assembly, the prop, the cylinder head, the crank case clamp ring.
I am trying very hard to make this project motor as close as I can to an original LS. The transom clamp assembly still needs to be plated, and there is much work still to be done on the fuel system and the Magneto.
DSCN9840s.JPG
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

It sounds like a lot of work just for an LS, but then I'm in the UK, not picking holes is your work, I just notice things.
water bug

Post by water bug »

Kieth, Yes , a LOT of work. LS are not to be had in the USA. I like to do restorations, and wanted a relatively early LS. So I have been working on it for some years , on and off. Just now, making progress. Have more of the assembly done. see Pictures. On to carb , fuel line and Magneto work. WB
DSCN9794s.JPG
DSCN9793s.JPG