Seagull Rowboat-Motor

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

Seagull Rowboat-Motor

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi all

This strange idea had been floating around in my head for a while now... I was thinking if it may be possible to 'transform' a Seagull into an Evinrude Rowboat-Motor-esque machine, with a knob-start mechanism, maybe a different magneto set-up, flywheel etc.

I intend to fit a knob-start mechanism to a Seagull flywheel plate to see if I can actually start any Seagulls in that set-up; if not, then it won't be happening.

Cheers
BP
Attachments
RBM.jpg
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
headdownarseup

Re: Seagull Rowboat-Motor

Post by headdownarseup »

Dont see why not S.

Cast your mind back maybe a year or two ago and there was general banter on here that somebody had HAND STARTED their gull.
Well, with some carefull setting up of the points and plug and a thorough carb cleaning i thought i'd have a go myself.
Yes is the answer.
You can start a seagull by hand (it helps if you run the engine before so as to get it up to operating temps)
I think i'd be quite concerned that the starting knob might throw out the balancing in the flywheel too much and cause some pretty severe vibrations.
Worth a go i think.

Jon
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Two Knobs.......?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

:lol: :lol:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Starting by hand is far easier with a buzz coil set up, and a larger flywheel diameter.

Adding a starting knob will create balance and vibration issues. A counter weight (or second knob :lol: ) on the opposite side may help.

When thinking second knob, serious knuckle buster comes to mind.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

As if the naked flywheel is not precarious enough you now want to turn it into a blender, no doubt it would work and also one piece of kit less to carry I guess but if it worked well, all small outboards would have a knob or two, the fact that this has not been seen since the 1920's must mean something :|
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

by JERSEYMAN

As if the naked flywheel is not precarious enough you now want to turn it into a blender, no doubt it would work and also one piece of kit less to carry I guess but if it worked well, all small outboards would have a knob or two, the fact that this has not been seen since the 1920's must mean something :|
Rene, I fully understand where you are coming from. This isn't so much of an "now i'm going to make all my seagulls knob-start"; it is only an idea I had and i'd like to see how it will turn out.

I have already thought about balance issues and the balance will be dealt with when the time comes.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Very nice "Idea"

Why Bother is my input.

Maybe TAM while speaking to Willie could think about this aye?

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It's quite a do-able idea but please give some thought to the revs that both of these motors run at, your Seagull at tickover is probably running faster than your rowboat at peak revs!

Seagull flywheels of all variety's were not designed to have holes drilled in the top surfaces & handles hung off the top face, you might have to add extra mass in the form of a heavy cover that carries the knob & that could be balanced, & could well have to be made from a non magnetic material, so it didn't interfere with the magneto functionality.

Seagulls start at around 600+ revs.

All of the Wipac flywheels were made from something resembling "Marzac" the crap they used to cast car door handles from, horrible brittle stuff, the Villiers ones were cast from a much more mallable alloy & might stand the abuse better!

The heavier Seagull flywheels like the "coolie hat" type tend to wear the top main bearing badly so start with a crankcase with real good bearings & check the top main bearing temperature after 5 minutes running before & after modification as if this bearing won't handle the extra loads & tightens up quickly this will be a big lump dancing around your workshop at 4000 revs, I've had this happen once, it was only the recoil starter that stopped it flying off, It also happened to 2 other people I know, always in New Zealand, maybe is a southern hemisphere thing!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Like i said before, the vibes are a bad thing, and certainly not a simple thing to put right either. I'm experimenting all the time with balancing flywheels and the best i can get out of them is around 60-70% perfection, not brilliant but at the same time better than before.
Not easy and very time consuming let me tell you :roll: but strangely satisfying when you get it almost spot on.

Listen to uncle Chas.

But i still sort of like the idea if it were to be done properly. Some clever thinking needed i suspect.

Jon
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Collector Inspector wrote:Very nice "Idea"

Why Bother is my input.

Maybe TAM while speaking to Willie could think about this aye?

BnC
After some serious delegation and the mention of two knobs i thought I'd better stay stump with this one. then whilst passing the bad boy it came right back to me two knobs what a thought . the wee burd would be walking like John Wayne come Monday carry on china look forward to seeing end results.....
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
pat777

Post by pat777 »

I like this idea, looking forward to seeing if you can come up with a design that works reliably.

Just for those who have not seen a seagull started by hand before.

headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I knew i'd seen it somewhere before :P

I started a 40+ in the same manner, not as difficult as you imagine, and no starting knob anywhere :shock:
I like it

Jon