Little Forty

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Re: Little Forty

Post by Gannet »

Thanks Tam. Very speedy work!
I reckon that, along with info from Jon, probably shows shows what I thought might be the case ie the LS probably does not have lettering.

Tam, do you know in what way, apart from the lettering that LS heads differ from the early slotted screw SJM/SJP heads?

Now whether SJM/SJPs always had DO NOT REMOVE, that is another question. We need info on early SJM/SJP. Perhaps Charles P might comment on his early SJM?

Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Sightly different font style on some of the DONT REMOVE heads.
Not sure whether you'd noticed.

Bear with me for a comparison

Jon
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Jeremy,

The SJM/SJP's did have the change in the do not remove on the cylinder heads.

The early SJP's I have on my data register (under SJP 22051) have blank cylinder heads (they don't have "do not remove" on the heads.

After a certain date (1960 something I think) they changed over to having "Do Not Remove"; I don't have access to my data sheet right now to clarify and confirm but I will when I get back home on Monday.

You've got me thinking now Jon, I'd never noticed the different script for "DNR" before...

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I have some pics and stuff re the stud and slotted fastener heads. I still do not believe that the studs should have a slotted type head.........so a later replacement for this topic LS25048.

I have tried to capture details as per our discussion.......which by the way is totally cool aye!

Here is a pic of the head showing studs and washers on a FLAT surface. My LS26125.

Studs and nut/washer attachment = flat surface.

20160720_152020.jpg
Here is a pic of the head showing the encapsulated slotted fasteners. My SJM 661L5
20160720_151625.jpg
This what I think the head is on LS25048 and I believe that the studs are over size.

It will probably come apart very nicely.

BnC[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

LS37902
Attachments
20160717_200025.jpg
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Collector Inspector

I guess that we will never know now.............

But

Makes no mechanical sense using a nut and washer on a hollow casting.

I have said and still question the mechanical application if BS actually sold as such.

And the stud would have a different part number as obviously........it is longer just to do the job.

Cheers

BnC

PS: What is that red stuff on the head gasket? .......that looks like it not fitting A1 :x
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

As soon as I get home I will post a lot more photos, I can't remember the "do not remove"
But I might have missed it, as you know I have very little knowledge of Seagulls but having looked at this one my first thought was that it looked like some of the nuts were newer than the head, likewise some of the bolts
Pics to follow once I get home from nailing the Harris Brownies lol
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Nice pics there B.
That shows perfectly the differences in head attachment between the 2 types of engines.

Tam's "old faithful" is another example of what i term make do and mend. (i hadn't noticed that until now) Not entirely correct, should work ok for a while, but as Bruce has mentioned far from an ideal situation.

Jon
tambikerboy

Re: Little Forty ls

Post by tambikerboy »

:?: Mmmmmm (not hollow)
Attachments
20160721_084400.jpg
The red stuff..
The red stuff..
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Collector Inspector

I have never seen that raised non hollow.....................................

Over to others from here-on methinks!

Very Interesting and thanks for that Tam.

BnC
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Only ever seen Hollow heads on SJMS which makes me think that old faithful is spot on and that flyguys LS will be exactly the same £5 to charity if I'm wrong ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

First I want to thank Tam for the Prop and the thrust block, redbull rules :lol:
I tried starting it tonight and nothing so I am going to start with the little I know
clean it up
tank off and ready to clean
Carb taken apart and it does need a bit of work Image
No "Do not remove" Image
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

I have been off boating for a few days with FV2682 on the back of my small dinghy. I think that these early series 40s are the very best for small dinghies. Lighter and quieter than all the others is my biased opinion! Just got home and about to give it a flush to get rid of the salt.
So, now trying to catch up on this topic.

Bruce,
Ref head/ Studs. The non hollow raised portion is typical on all FV/FVPs that I have seen. . (The first 1200 (very very approx) are slightly different. I think that the raised area around the studs is quite correct. Exactly what happened when the LS head was introduced i am not sure, but it would be understandable if the same design (in this area) was carried forward from the FV/FVPs, which is what I expect happened. Tam's late LS37902, rather suggests that was the case.

If the wrong part (ie a head) has been fitted onto an engine, it is far far more likely to be a later, more numerous part that has been fitted, rather than an earlier, rarer part.
My money is on LS37902 having its original specification head.

Jeremy
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I was wondering if anyone could offer a suggestion as to why this wouldn't start, I know it has a spark and I know the fuel is getting into the carb, I didn't expect that it wouLd run but I thought it might fire up, splutter or at least try
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Only 3 things needed Steve fuel spark and compression if you have all 3 I'd be stripping carb completely i normally flush carb components with petrol then airline every nock and crannie I'm sure all your answers will be found here ENJOY :P