Little Forty

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Re: Little Forty

Post by Collector Inspector »

"Bruce,
Ref head/ Studs. The non hollow raised portion is typical on all FV/FVPs that I have seen. . (The first 1200 (very very approx) are slightly different. I think that the raised area around the studs is quite correct. Exactly what happened when the LS head was introduced i am not sure, but it would be understandable if the same design (in this area) was carried forward from the FV/FVPs, which is what I expect happened. Tam's late LS37902, rather suggests that was the case.

If the wrong part (ie a head) has been fitted onto an engine, it is far far more likely to be a later, more numerous part that has been fitted, rather than an earlier, rarer part.
My money is on LS37902 having its original specification head.

Jeremy"

Thanks for that aye!

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Strip/rebuild
Doesn't guarantee it will start but at least you know it's clean :evil:
Attachments
No3 needle
No3 needle
After
After
Before
Before
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Thanks Tam those pics help a lot
got the nut off the top and plate covering the points came off with a little help

this number is stamped on flywheel R82 A80E 8/54

and this CODE M2053 B/1

1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Jeremy is your man for numbers he will keep you right. ..looks good. .though
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

tambikerboy wrote:Jeremy is your man for numbers he will keep you right. ..looks good. .though
I'm passing them to Jeremy, I have a pdf from him but as you all will know I'm too stupid to be able to fill it in right :oops:

I can't even post pics that enlarge when clicked. where does everyone host them?
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Steve,
Thanks for the photos and the flywheel date info. 8/54 signifies August 1954, which seems quite right for serial number 25408. The cast number - M2053B/1 - on the magneto baseplate seems to be the number on these half rimless baseplates (HRB in my data list). The earlier rimless baseplates (RB) seem to have M2053B cast in. Presumably the /1 was added when the half rim modification was introduced.
Is the flywheel cover plain or has it got 'The Best Outboard Motor In The World' etched on it?

With regard to your starting problem - does it produce a decent spark? As Tam has indicated, fuel + spark + compression = Bang!

Jeremy
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Hi Jeremy, When I tried it the day I picked it up it had a spark, tonight however no sign of one, Tam says give the points a clean and switch the HT lead, I will give that a go if I ever get a day off work that doesn't involve me going fishing, yep it says 'The Best Outboard Motor In The World'
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

flyguy wrote:Hi Jeremy, When I tried it the day I picked it up it had a spark, tonight however no sign of one, Tam says give the points a clean and switch the HT lead, I will give that a go if I ever get a day off work that doesn't involve me going fishing, yep it says 'The Best Outboard Motor In The World'
Stevie wonder is keeping quiet lately must be doing some amount of polishing or is he living up to his name and catching some wild brownies (flyguy) come on you promised pics. ....
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

tambikerboy wrote:
flyguy wrote:Hi Jeremy, When I tried it the day I picked it up it had a spark, tonight however no sign of one, Tam says give the points a clean and switch the HT lead, I will give that a go if I ever get a day off work that doesn't involve me going fishing, yep it says 'The Best Outboard Motor In The World'
Stevie wonder is keeping quiet lately must be doing some amount of polishing or is he living up to his name and catching some wild brownies (flyguy) come on you promised pics. ....
HI Tam, I've been working long hours with very little time off (have to pay for those fishing holidays) one more trip at the end of the month then the season ends and the messing about with the seagull season starts :cry: :oops: , I will be trying to get a spark, cleaning up the points and magnets is top of the list and spinning with a drill

Stevie Wonder if I will ever figure out what I'm doing :oops:
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Tam, are you missing a part on that carburettor, I thought they had a washer between the carb body and main jet?
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Pass on that one china never noticed a washer between carb body and main jet (been wrong before ) mybe it's time i reported back to specsavers last time i was asked if i could read the sign on the door (yes exit)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Tam my mother warned me, that it would make me go blind, I didn't need reading glasses until I was 40, perhaps it's time you slowed down a little!

I was real good, I almost had a place in the Olympic team, then I heard the Scots were getting a team together, I gave up at that point as I had no chance at a medal!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

:shock:
Charles uk wrote:Tam my mother warned me, that it would make me go blind, I didn't need reading glasses until I was 40, perhaps it's time you slowed down a little!

I was real good, I almost had a place in the Olympic team, then I heard the Scots were getting a team together, I gave up at that point as I had no chance at a medal!
It's good to pull the head off it now and again keeps the circulation going (I'm sure we all do it or am i the only one that's willing to admit it ) no worries C I've never won any medals neither 2nd best all the time BUT LEVELED THE SCORE EVERYTIME....
Attachments
20160827_145607.jpg
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Tam my mother warned me, that it would make me go blind, I didn't need reading glasses until I was 40, perhaps it's time you slowed down a little!

It's good to pull the head off it now and again keeps the circulation going (I'm sure we all do it or am i the only one that's willing to admit it )
:lol: :lol: :lol:

With pulling your head all the time you have kept it nice and clean! :shock:
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Ok Tam, you made me feel guilty :lol:
I started by changing the plug, no spark so I tried checking the magnets
yes fine they held the screwdriver no problem
Then into the points, they look clean and no rust
Then off with the tension lead and it looks fine to me

so either the lead has gone inside or it's the coil is my thinking now