You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

This is interesting...

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi all

Browsing Ebay for Seagulls and came across this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE ... qP&vxp=mtr

What I found interesting was the shipping 'address'... see pic below.

Maybe was intended for use on a lifeboat? :shock:

Cheers
BP
Attachments
Interesting....PNG
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Horsley-Anarak

Re: This is interesting...

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

That is interesting.

Steam Ship Scotia No. 1 was bombed in 1940 and sank.

"The SCOTIA was a liner built in 1921 for the London & North Western Railway Company; 3.441 tons; 4 single reduction turbines; 25 knots; The vessel was requisitioned by the Government to take the British Expeditionary Force to France in December 1939. On 1st June 1940 she was sunk by German aircraft just outside Dunkirk whilst on passage to Sheerness. She had on board 2,500 French troops, losses were 33 crew and around 300 soldiers.

The exact total is unknown because no one was counting the boarding, which was then under intense fire."

There was another another one built in the sixties.

this is by a guy who sailed on it

"I joined the Scotia as second mate in Cammel Lairds in the latter stage of her build. The captain was Reggie Venn. Scotia did not have an ice breaker bow but an ice strengthened bow. Scotia also had a bridge controlled main engine making it easier to manouvre especially whilst in the ice. As far as I knew the vessel was designed to trade to Montreal and Quebec all the year round.
I first joined Scotia on 12th December 1966 and stayed with her until December 1968. During this time we traded to Montreal and Quebec and did not do any trips up The Great Lakes.
She was a good ship and was exceptional in the ice which we encountered in and around the St Lawrence.
One voyage lasted longer than scheduled, we arrived in Montreal in December 67 having had a hard slog up the St Lawrence in quite thick ice. A week after our arrival the St Lawrence was closed to navigation due to the fact that it was completly blocked by thick ice. Ice breakers were brought in to clear this ice to prevent flooding in Montreal. We were stuck in Montreal for almost two months while the ice breakers cleared the block. The day the block was broken I was on the bridge and I suddenly saw the ice move and quickly realised that despite we had our anchor cables ashore nothing would keep us alongside. We were swept away ripping the bollards from the dock, our accomodation ladder acted as a fender between ourselves and the ship that was moored astern of us.The engineers did a fantastic job and we had main engines within 10 minutes of being swept away. Captain Venn was tremendous and calmly broke us free from the huge lump of ice that we were trapped and took us safely back to the berth. We sustained minor damage and returned to Liverpool on the 5th March 1968 two months late.
Hope you find this interestng
Mike England"

It is no longer about renamed "Neptune Amber"

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/pho ... id=1539537

H A