James May the reassembler

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Re: James May the reassembler

Post by headdownarseup »

Finally found the pics i was looking for.

This was/is an LS i rebuilt last year. One of 3 i now have.

All laid out on the table, although i did do a lot more dismantling to the crank and con-rod as well as the pump housing for a closer look. Not a power tool in sight.
All done with hand tools (my preferred choice)

It looks a bit different now though. A few parts were not quite right (copper head gasket? how the hell did that get in there :roll: ) Bent tiller is now straight :roll: and painted black, rusty drive tube is now shiny (quite expensive i thought) missing chrome on the exhaust tube complete with dents is still the same as was then. (for now until a better replacement comes along) The tank is dent free and sitting in primer at the moment. Lower unit is polished and shiny. Lots of other bits are now bright and shiny.
Not quite finished yet, nearly there though.Just the last few bits to find/buy/fabricate and it's done.

And yes, this took me 55 mins to put back together from a pile of bits into a working and running outboard motor. By hand tools only.

All good fun eh

Jon
Attachments
its a lot easier going back together once it's been cleaned.
its a lot easier going back together once it's been cleaned.
just a big jigsaw puzzle isn't it. WITH RUST AND DENTS?? lol
just a big jigsaw puzzle isn't it. WITH RUST AND DENTS?? lol
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Have you made a small donation to H-A's charity yet?

He is stripping and rebuilding a seagull that belonged to his former neighbour at his cost, and selling it on for cancer research. Worth all the regulars on here chucking £5 or £10 I think.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote:Have you made a small donation to H-A's charity yet?

He is stripping and rebuilding a seagull that belonged to his former neighbour at his cost, and selling it on for cancer research. Worth all the regulars on here chucking £5 or £10 I think.
Now the weather is improving, hope to get a sub 20 min video posted.

Thankyou for all the support so far, work commitments have eased a little so back on track, new crankcase is perfect with no binding on crank.

This engine will be a good one when complete, now feel I should paint it and fit a restored tank.
done.jpg
H A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You can list on eBay as a charity auction too :P Great what you are doing H-A
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

No i havn't donated yet.

I work with cash, pound notes, and would rather hand over a fist full of my hard earned rather than tempt things going wrong over the internet.
I've been had a few times before now, and if it's all the same to you H-A i'll wait till i see you in person :P

Tank looks nice though.
Look forward to seeing the video.

Jon
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Found this motor again last weekend in the garage, must get it out and have another bash at sub 20min assembly.

Bit of fun :)