Bargepusher anyone?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusOB_Collector

Bargepusher anyone?

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi all

Just browsing the Tree, came across this.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/relbia/b ... 1108733901

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
notav8

Re: Bargepusher anyone?

Post by notav8 »

Thanks, but Not for me, as I already have one. :)
Cheers
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Looks like it's a THC, but i already have one of those.

Jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Well its in Tassi about 300k from me but may be I should give it a look. Must admit I don't have one but have never been very enamoured with them, and even if I did get it running it would hardly be my choice for a run up the channel. At $60 its worth a bit more than a carton of smokes

AJ
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

There not bad for what there for.
I own two, a THCL, and TC, and for moving a 20 foot oyster punt or a house boat to a new mooring there fantastic.
And on my old clinker with the dead blaxland twin it was perfect. One was my first seagull, but unless your building one of these leave it.
side_view_new.JPG
(the wife is suggesting this might be the go for the Murry cruise when the boys do it again)

But if there any good, i did buy one because it had a long rang tank, And then changed the gearbox on it and then sold it for more than i payed so they can be worth it. But no i wont be buying it.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I think the silver century plus has more push, a few years back I tried a good bargepusher on the back of laden strikeliner, probably a ton and it did not seem to rev out almost like they got the gearing or blade size wrong, there was greater push with silver century plus and now with a kingfisher on the back it's a whole different story, everybody into seagulls should try one just to see what was achieved in the end.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Interesting everyone else's comparisons between the silver century plus and the bargepusher.
Last year at Cholsey i brought a few motors along for the ride just to see how they performed one against the other.
The 2 motors of choice (for my boat at least) were the silver century plus and a pre 1950's Bargie.
I have to say i was bitterly disappointing with the silver century plus even though i'd swapped out the weedfree prop for a 5 blade hydrofan.
In a nutshell it was gutless.And REDICULOUSLY slow compared to some of other motors i've used on the same boat in the past.(AC3392 is almost twice as fast as this one) However, i've made a few adjustments to the boat now which hopefully will accomodate for the lack of any decent trim to set the motor up properly.
The Bargie on the other hand had much more get up and go about it, plenty of push, and all round a much nicer motor to use (for me any way)

I think a lot depends on the type of hull the motor is going to be used on.They dont seem to do all that well in the speed stakes, but that's not what these are about.

Just my thoughts

Jon