Silver Centry

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Adrian Dale

Silver Centry

Post by Adrian Dale »

found this today on facebook; seems this engine has never been out of the box...... but the price expected $3000 !!!!
This being the price that it is claimed was offered from Bermuda.. but a lower offer, from Melbourne north is for $1000... now what would you guys give for this.. remembering something similar was sold in New Zealand for around $300... bit over the top?

AJ
Attachments
Boxed Silver centry.jpg
tambikerboy

Re: Silver Centry

Post by tambikerboy »

£30 who can say it.s never been run looking at some resto.,s on this site we could all claim that we have one that's never been used so £30 it is mybe £50 if it's an original box (looks like it could be time to put on the bullet proof vest ) 8)
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Having bought two Silver Centuries Plus models - one 1976 the other 1977 - both" out of the box" I would pay up to £400 for it. Engines built around that period were from the golden age of British Seagull - better made than the in later years and if literally "as new" will last you for the next 20 years hard use without much attention. If it is a Century rather than a Century Plus a short shaft is probably more generally desirable - the Plus had the larger 11inch Hydrofan which provided much more thrust so in more demand as an auxiliary. The short shaft Century is an ideal engine for a heavy dingy - its not an engine to lift on and off as a yacht tender engine - it is quite a lump.
Any Seagull from the 1970s is worth buying if it is as new. Getting it started may involve whipping the top plate off the flywheel to free the points a they can seize shut over time. The rest of it should be ready to go.
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I would say Robin is correct, up to £400.

H-A
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Bit of a spread there but surly if it was/is still originally boxed the buyer would be unlikely to disturbed it due to an immediate depreciation. Bit like the "brand new" fuel tank a few weeks back that sold for 90ukp. if you use it and add fuel you will cut its value by a third.
My friend makes a business of selling dinky toys and it is interesting to see that a toy in perfect condition with out its original cardboard box is a tenth of the value of an identical one in a nice clean original box.

anyway my offer of $300 was knocked back

AJ
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yes something new and unused is "Special" and once even started the whole concept of owning such a thing is greatly diminished.

I have a new unused never seen water let alone fuel in the tank MAC 10Hp. 3 x Compression and 3 times spark when pulled over. The fuel line and pump has rotted away with Ozone rendering useless but................is still as it was in 1974.

I have a youtube vid of it. Comments ask me to put fuel in it and start.......I think I would be sitting and somewhat disturbed after doing that.

It would not be "As New" anymore.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others