Complete Propeller range pictorial database

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: Complete Propeller range pictorial database

Post by Charles uk »

That's the reason we let it drop Mark, when it started to look inaccurate.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Could we get a pic of a bow tie and a swept back so we can see the difference between them.

I still think is is a good idea to have pictures of the different props even if the size looks incorrect so wwhen we say a 4 leaf clover prop we all know what we are talking about!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

As long as my camera and computer are willing to work together (having a little trouble of late with 'em both) i can do pics of SD and BOWTIE props, and a few more besides. :P
I'll try in the morning, bear with me.

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Here are a few photos of 102 props:
Bow tie prop with "Subejector" exhaust late 1940s ish.
Bow tie prop with "Subejector" exhaust late 1940s ish.
Another view of the bow-tie prop
Another view of the bow-tie prop
Later props 2 & 3 blade  plus 4 blade 102 prop
Later props 2 & 3 blade plus 4 blade 102 prop
SD "Swep" prop also fitted to SDP and early post war 102s
SD "Swep" prop also fitted to SDP and early post war 102s
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

In the third pic down, the 2 and 3 blade props I guess are weed free props?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

The one that i've got has 102w cast into the hub, so i presume that the W refers to being "weedfree".

I can only imagine the 2 bladed version will have similar markings on it.

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

no markings at all on my 2 blade.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Strange, you have the common hydro fan, bow ties and swept back props, which seem to be quite common and then you get these weed eater, pork chop style props, which I have never seen in the flesh, and they are or should be more common, I don't get it.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Nor do i Keith

I just say it as i see it.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The three blade "chopper" is fairly common, seen quite a few of those. However I've not seen the 2 blade "chopper" before apart from the one I have. Intriguing.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Isn't it!

So many different shapes and sizes, some supposed to be better than others.

Camera is charging as we speak,(fingers crossed my laptop decides to behave itself and do what i tell it to do) so with any luck i might be able to add some more pics tomorrow of what i have in boxes.
All sorts but with a couple missing here and there which hopefully one of us could post up.

I think from a pictorial view, pictures will at least go some way to help others identify what they have and some of the names we give these props. Maybe even a few pointers as to which prop fitted which motor. Tricky i know.
We have to start somewhere with this even if we can't manage to find a computer programme that's accurate enough and easily printable.
Something is better than nothing wouldn't you say :P

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Alas no marking on the "chopper"

It should also be noted that the SD and the chopper are unpainted whereas the bow tie is. Also the SD and chopper have a flatter forward hub and the bowtie has a more sculptured cone.

Disclaimer: Whereas I colloquially call the 10" raked prop an SD it was also used on early "A" series as well as the "D" and "C".

If you are a visitor and wish to view these images please register and join the forum.
meatclever prop.JPG
Chopper profile
chopper prop.jpg
Bow tie profile
bow tie profile.JPG
10" SD profile
SD prop profile.JPG
three prop.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Well there's been a little flurry of enthusiasm on this topic, perhaps I should repost my original post with a few more details.

"For many years now, in the background of this site we have been discussing compiling a pictorial database of all Seagull props right throughout the entire range, to this end are there any members of this site that are CAD Draftsman or have a son who is one, who could design a background (printoutable anywhere in the world, to an exact size) that the best examples of props could be photographed against to provide a complete list of all Seagull props & which models there were designed for & can be used on.

To the same end it would be great to find someone with the time & the photo editing ability who would be interested in compiling all these efforts."

To avoid the confusion that using nicknames causes, it might be better if we used Seagull's part numbers as well as the nickname, the ratio of the lower units they were fitted to, so users can make an educated guess to which other Seagulls their prop is suitable for.

We still need someone to coordinate & compile all this into a pictorial database that all can access.

Any interested volunteers?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Hugz

Not sure i'd go along with "bowties" being painted!
SD's polished,Bowties polished,Cloverleafs polished (depending on which gearbox they're mounted onto as i think there's a transition from holed boxes and slotted boxes),hydrofans painted and all subsequent variants there after painted including the "chopper".
At least that's what i've seen till now, and what i've got in cardboard boxes seems to bear this out fairly well too.
I can't do part numbers so perhaps someone else could provide those. Props and boxes for the most part i can do a good proportion of them without too much fuss.

Bear with me as i'm trying to get a load more pics with their various gearboxes and pumphousings uploaded shortly.
This should be quite good once we've got as many as we can together. Fills in a few blank spaces at least :P

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I was surprised to see remnants of paint on the bowtie to. Exact match to laters ones. I'll dig up a few more and check. If unpainted it would be last of the props that were and possibly the last few were painted though were any of the 102 boxes painted...... not to my recollection.