You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Niander101

Nice SD 102

Post by Niander101 »

Oyster 49

Re: Nice SD 102

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, that one seems largely untouched and original. It has the bronze float bowl top and what looks like an original inlet trumpet too, plus a steel tank, bronze clutch lever and copper coolie hat. Original fuel pipe.Early serial number in the range.

Looking at the numbers I have personally seen the engines with the copper and bronze bits tend to be in the first half of the 10,000 serial number range. I'd love to know what the mechanism was for fitment of these bits, and where they were assembled etc. I can only offer theories. Could it be that a particular assembly location was supplied a batch of the non alluminium bits? It's also noted that engines with the copper coolie hat more often have the other bronze bits too.

Would make a nice project, but assume the coil is shot £70 ish for replacements from George.

I have a surplus all bronze transom bracket with bent over thumb screws that would go nicely with that one.

I like this particular model, it's what got me into classic outboards in the first place 8) I'll be interested to see who gets it and what it goes for. Not for me as I'm off to Germany working tomorrow.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

On top of Adrians comments i often look at what's happening "down below".

My point of interest with these is with the oil nipples on the gearbox. (same as my SD which is nearly 700 earlier in the range than this one) and on the starboard side. Most of the 102 range including the vast majority of the SD's and SDP's with a nippled gearbox have these nipples on the PORT side.
Another theory to add to the many, is it possible that the first 1000/1500 motors from the 10,000 (ish) that were produced, could have been fitted with these nipples on the starboard side.Possibly as a result from another contractor assembling these motors.(there must have been more than 1 contractor putting these together during the war) there again it could have been a directive from BS to assemble these motors with nipples to port side.

Question for the MARSTON owners here= Do any of the late model straight leg Marston 102 motors have these oil nipples on the starboard side?
It might help to get some understanding on this before we move on and speculate any further.

We get so used to looking at gearboxes from a distance and we can tell what it is from 50 paces. But i still get the "niggles" when i see a 102 box with the oil nipples the wrong way around! My theory is that this is probably correct, later motors (approx. 1500 onwards) having the oil nipples the "right way around" on the port side? just like ALL the others.

jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

My ON has the nipples on the starboard side. My SD has them to the port side.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Nipples on #125 are starboard
" " #9242 are port

This one #973 are starboard.

Ties up with your theory Jon.

Wonder if it has CIESS skeg stamp.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

My records show or any pictures that I have seem to show, on the straight exhaust Marston models,

OJ = starboard
ON = port
OP = port

I must confess that I never gave much thought to the oil nipple location, as it didn't seem too important at the time.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I think i need to do a bit more digging around with this theory!

It would make sense from what we've seen with most other things either side of WW2 with these motors that BS were more than likely using up parts from a previous model range. What came before the SD's? ,the late model Marston 102 variants obviously. (exactly the same with the immediate post war 102's from late 45 to approx. late 47 as far as i can see at the moment) which is why we see very early AC's and AD's looking to all intents and purposes the same as an SD! (you have to look closely to spot the differences)
Still doesn't help to explain why my C 102 has the nipples on the starboard side? :roll:

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The Marston casting might appear to be similar in style to the Seagull castings apart from the alloy quality, but the components have quiet a few non swoppable differences!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Any pics available?
Would be good to see this side by side. i.e OJ/ON/OP against an SD just to have a squizzy see.

Are you up for that Charles?
I'll provide the SD, you provide the Marstons!
Only about an hour away from you in the van. Give me the nod yae or nae.

jon
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

headdownarseup wrote: Question for the MARSTON owners here= Do any of the late model straight leg Marston 102 motors have these oil nipples on the starboard side?
It might help to get some understanding on this before we move on and speculate any further.
DSCN5006.JPG
Yes
20140706_123214.jpg
and yes
$_57 (5).JPG
and yes again

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Thats my ON! :lol:
Are you up for that Charles?
I'll provide the SD, you provide the Marstons!
Only about an hour away from you in the van. Give me the nod yae or nae.
That will be something to see, the full set! OB too?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote:Thats my ON
Sorry Adrian, did. not know that the one with the knackered transom bracket was yours.

Grabbed that picture somewhere.

H-A

P.S. here are some more
!BTiNsV!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw1zHMKBKI+7+h7Vw~~_1.jpg
!BTiNsV!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw1zHMKBKI+7+h7Vw~~_1.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 669 times
DSCN0019.JPG
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Couple of questions:

The carb trumpet appears to have what looks like a saw cut close to the throat.... is this original?

on the older engines were plug caps fitted from new of were the HT leads fitted as in the example posted with the ally plug nut only?

AJ
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Adrian Dale wrote:Couple of questions:

The carb trumpet appears to have what looks like a saw cut close to the throat.... is this original?

on the older engines were plug caps fitted from new of were the HT leads fitted as in the example posted with the ally plug nut only?

AJ
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

IT went the way of the Marstons...item is no longer available :roll: