If one is good... then 2 HAS to be better!

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

joe28
If one is good... then 2 HAS to be better!

Post by joe28 »

I can see it happening-again, like I was? am? with old Jeeps,motorcycles, sailboats and now motorboats and outboards. :cry:
I see, I feel sorry, I must have.......
I'm always looking in the back of fields, behind garages, under layers of dust in garages, back alleys for my next "project".
I buy, (usually for more than I should, but I MUST have "IT"), drag IT home, dive in deep to fix it, (not restore- that mean make brand new and park to look at, I use)
I get done, step back and look at it, then, sell....... usually for less than I have in it! :lol:
Story of my life!

This is how it all started........................
I bought my first Seagull, ('69 Century) to use as a trolling motor on my 19' almn. fishing boat.
Saw a pic of one on line and the seed was planted.
They are odd, (I LIKE odd!), simple, light weight, (did I mention I like odd)?, and it will push my boat.
Like most Sea Gulls, (which is another odd thing), this had been sitting a LONG LONG time, owner died, the family was selling it off.
A bit of work, clean the points, clean the carb, flush the tank, new lower unit oil, some paint and TA-DA! 8)
This motor runs great (in the tank, dunno how in the St. Lawrence River) looks like low, low hours, (top of the piston is carbon free)...............
Fast forward a few months......... There I am cruising through E bay for parts or? (I dunno why I have bought some spares, but....), I saw "IT"!
It was close by, looked forlorn and in need of a "good" home!
A low bid got "IT", tonight I travel the 2 hours to get bring "IT" home.
Vin # says it a 1975 Century.
My common sense tells me WTF! are you outta your mind? I've got WAY more outboards than I will ever need.
But the part of me who likes to be abused by projects tells me, "You got it cheap, it can be for parts", ( even though I would never steal parts from a complete unit, why that's a sin! I'll buy the parts first :mrgreen: )!
Is there a cure for "Sea Gull-ism?
Can I be cured?
Should I worry?
Will my house be filled with Sea Gulls in different state of dissemble, a cylinder on the table, a lower unit in the bed room?
Joe
So many "poor things" out there, so few $$
phil

Re: If one is good... then 2 HAS to be better!

Post by phil »

If you don't stop now, all is lost! Get out while you can. I know of people with 3000-5000 outboard motors. Next thing you know you will have to build a storage and display area. I think 20-30 are about max. you can have if you plan to run each one every year.
joe28

Post by joe28 »

My only hope is that there isn't too many close to me here in Pa. Making the addiction run it's course.
Maybe I can open my own "Sea Gull Rehab Center"?
Most boaters @ here have to run what everyone else runs, "Boat Clones"!
Joe
Did it say on the Statue of Liberty, "Send me you tired Sea Gulls"?
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Oh dear, I see this being me in a few months from now :shock:
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

The slippery slope has now been trodden!

Welcome to the strange ways of seagull ownership.

(if 2 is better, what does over 20 make? an addiction perhaps :shock: )

I should stop now while you still can :lol: :lol:

jon
joe28

Post by joe28 »

Well, "IT" is home.
"IT" Spent the night in the back of the Subaru, (can't come inside til it's cleaned), now here at work in the "Expensive Care Ward" (warm shop).
I can live with the fact I have NO self control, (as long as my bank account can), when it comes to things like this............... :lol:
Like Popeye said, "I am what I am".................
Will I have a flock of Sea Gulls?
It will depend on what this one runs $$ wise to get running and looking good!
And....................
If there is another that calls my name!
I tell my forgiving wife that it could be worse, I COULD be spending my $$ at the bar (pub to you across the pond), drinking. At least she knows where I am, in the shop, "playing"! (It took YEARS to break her in)!! :lol:
Joe
So many things need to be saved! Think the government will give me federal $$ to bring these old motors back to life? You know, piece of history and all that? :P
phil

Post by phil »

www.aomci.org/forum

Free classified ads open to those interested in old outboards, plus the ask a member section where you can ask questions. If you are still looking for a forward/neutral gearbox etc. you may find one closer to you. If you are interested mine is still available for shipping cost PM me if interested.