F, FV, FVP, LS & LM

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

F, FV, FVP, LS & LM

Post by Gannet »

Table of information on the Early Forty Series. F, FV, FVP, LS & LM

I initially started on this project to try to throw some light and understanding on the production changes that took place within this series of engines. Collecting data on individual engines was obviously a prerequisite, and remains the priority. I believe this has been successful as we have now collected sufficient data to know the major changes and approximately when they took place. We also now know more accurately the build specification of these engines on the day that they left BS.
I know that this is a minority interest, but hopefully it will useful and interesting to some. There is a lot of extra information since the last list on the 27th August.
However, the vast majority of surviving engines are not on this list, but they are out there somewhere. So please if you know the serial number of an engine or indeed just a pair of crankcases, I would be very grateful to have that information for inclusion in the table.
If you would like me to send the table to you, please give me your e mail address via a pm.
Jeremy
Scan of The Early Forty Series Pg 1. 9th Nov 2014.jpg
Scan of The Early Forty Series Pg 2. 9th Nov 2014.jpg
Scan of The Early Forty Series Pg 3. 9th Nov 2014.jpg
Scan of The Early Forty Series Pg 4. 9th Nov 2014.jpg
Scan of The Early Forty Series Pg 5. 9th Nov 2014.jpg
bikerboyfife

Re: F, FV, FVP, LS & LM

Post by bikerboyfife »

Ls 38087 has just went round lochearn twice this weekend wrong info jeremy :D
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Thank you very much for the information concerning LS38087.
The only bit of information that I recorded was 'Being stripped?'
With the question mark it was obviously not a definite statement.
Thank you for making contact. Perhaps you could provide some definite information concerning LS38087. I would be very pleased if you could give me information to complete the entry in the list. Details of the carb, tiller, tank, magneto cover, prop and transom bracket would be very helpful and constructive.
With the long trip you have had this weekend, it certainly sounds in good fettle.
Jeremy
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

bikerboyfife wrote:Ls 38087 has just went round lochearn twice this weekend wrong info jeremy

How long is the run around the loch? what was the run time?

On Wednesday, weather permitting, I intend to take LS 18407 down the channel to a friends property. The distance about 10 Miles. Hope to get some speed, fuel consumption, and gearbox oil use. (see new post). My dingy is a 3.5 meter inflatable with a hard keel. It would be good to get some dynamic data to go with the build date correlated in the tables.

Great tabulation Jeremey.. lets get behind Jeremey and dig out some more data. One place to look is the wooden boat festivals, we have a large one in Hobart in the new year, theres always dozens of seagulls on the back of the gleaming wooden boats.

AJ
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Check this out Jeremey: eBay item number:111539158780 Sorry I don't know how to post a link.
Its was listed on ebay Australia today FV 3364 has original decal but looks to have a damaged stub tiller mount photos not clear. But generally looks complete. I note it closes the gap a little in the block of missing number in your sheet

AJ
phil

Post by phil »

Hi Gannet, Have sent you a PM re LS 12667.
Phil
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111539158780 ... 26_rdc%3D1

Haven't seen one of those in OZ before. Shame it is not in Sydney.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Hugz, Have a look at the photo's and tell me what you think of the stub tiller? does any one know if this is a genuine BS fitting. I rather think it is a repair job but cant make it out from the photos.

Charles/Jeremey can you held please?

AJ
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

My knowledge on these models is almost zero but if I recall they had an option of a longer fixed tiller whereas the stub one was standard. I could well be wrong though.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

so the optional fixed tiller was bolted onto the crankcase using the four through bolts?

AJ
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Through the bolts....................I have seen something like this somewhere before..................I think. So many years now all is a bit of a haze actually :oops:

I think the starting price may well be the correct price with this motor. Time will tell.

I am not in the running by the way.

Watching with interest though.

Who will be the first to ask about shipping pickup yeh?

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

For some reason I think the crankcase had a different molding whereas the tiller was threaded (or clamped). Be interesting to find out from our northern brethren. Would be a mess if the motor slid over and landed on the tiller.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

This time of year it's.. free care of Santa

AJ
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Sorry for being slow in replying to this post.

I have never seen on an F, FV or FVP, any stub tiller arrangement like the one in the photos of FV3364. I would guess it is a 'homemade' part, the aim of which, I do not know.

The standard stub tiller on these models is a 7/8" o/d brass tube of 5" length located on a turned aluminium cylindrical piece cast as part of the top crankcase half. The tube is held in position by a large brass split pin.
This stub tiller was the standard up to approx serial number 11000. During this period (starting at least by S/No 1867) a tilting tiller was an option. When this was fitted the aluminium stub was neatly machined off and a steel bracket located by the two port side crankcase studs. A 10" brass tilting tiller was then attached via a steel end piece to this bracket. Usually the serial number bore a 'T' suffix to indicate this tiller arrangement.
From serial number 11000, all FVs appeared to be fitted with this tilting tiller, and the 'T' suffix was not added.
All the LSs were fitted with this 10" tilting tiller. The difference to the FV was that the LS had a cast aluminium mounting on the lower crankcase half to which the tiller was attached.

Jeremy
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yep!

My mind is reset now.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others