Original?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Adrian Dale

Re: Original?

Post by Adrian Dale »

Hear hear Hugz.. must find a cheep way to transport across Australia first though

AJ
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Smartsend I have found to be the most economical.

https://www.smartsend.com.au/
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

After a phone call to CHARLES UK the other day, i think i can answer why you might not see too many AC's down under, its the same in the UK as well.
The clutch option was a pricey thing to have back in the day.
My data on 102's backs this up also. There are dozens of AD's but very few AC's.
Scarce (maybe) but there would suggest buying habits of the 1950's would have been a lot more conservative. After all, rationing was still in effect from the war at that point so money was tight? The price difference between an AD and an AC would be similar to 1 or 2 weeks wages back then. Food for thought.

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It was 4 weeks wages at national average Jon, translate that into todays money, £25k pa national average, don't think I need a clutch that bad!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Maybe the colonials didn't think our indigenous friends where not up to more than direct drive :D

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/no ... the%20load.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

My bad CHARLES! Thanks for the correction. :D

Pricey things these clutches all the same

Makes you think though the price difference in these seagulls back then doesn't it?

jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

The last thing I suspect anyone on an average wage back then would buy would be a Seagull clutch of no clutch. my father a fitter/labourer, working in a plastic factory, was probably on or just below the average wage.. No boat and no Seagull; whereas my friends architect father was perhaps on 10 times the average wage (surmising due to the cars and houses) and he did have boats and Seagulls. so I suspect, as I think Charles noted in an earlier post, that the real buyers were the middle class.
Never the less, with a high $ differential between clutch and no clutch coupled with BS marketing suggesting that a "competent sailor" didn't require a clutch probably made the difference. Having a clutch drive would make one feel bit inferior to the chap who was skilled in boat handling and therefore, as per BS, didn't need one.

AJ
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Would the gearbox fitted be from a TD or WC later model?

I believe that an AC should be more like this one. I have a couple floating about somewhere.....

Still getting the 2012 Epic move sorted :oops: .

DSC03524.JPG
B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

B
102 gearboxes of this age (1950/1) according to the engine identifier, i'm fairly certain would have had the "sub ejector" pump housing along with NO OIL NIPPLES.
1949 going into 1950 may have seen the phasing out of the oil nipples (as per SD's) from 3 to 2 (missing 1 in the pump housing at first) then only 1 bigger one in the main casing(which probably coincides with the arrival of the "sub ejector" pump housing)
The picture you've put up looks spot on to me.
Direct drive gearboxes were exactly the same (but without a clutch)
Still trying to work out whether the end cap would have had the drain plug at this time.(they probably did) it makes sense that with no oil nipples, how do you get lubrication into the box?

Interesting that some gearboxes i've looked at have studs/nuts attaching the end cap instead of screws!

jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

sold for $200 Hope it when to a good home I was tempted right to the end but resisted

AJ
Collector Inspector

You should not have resisted A.

One dollar more and it would have been yours.

B
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

don't think so I bet that a higher bid would have invited a jump also I had to consider the shipping to Tasmania best quote I got from Pack and Send was $300. that made it unviable. Hugz suggested Smart send but put a size limit of 400 x 400 x 400 so wouldn't quote Theme's the breaks!

AJ
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

so did B get it then?
Collector Inspector

"so did B get it then?"

Yes he did.

Being picked up 19th Nov from Queensland by Smart Send to my door...........Ships cat is going to be put out coz I have "Another One" :lol:

I am pleased and have lots of bits to get the Old Dear back to scratch.

How did you guess me?

Cheers

B
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Congrats on the win, was hovering over it as im close. but have my eye on a EH, but its and 800 k trip, to colect. So well done.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986