Keith.P

Re: 79 Forty plus, clutch, long shaft

Post by Keith.P »

Might not be :)

But its not in the not any more.
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

can anyone tell what parts are not original to this motor?
....manual list 4 blades propeller....and mine has 3 blades clover leaves one
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

The pin shown is on the other side clamp so..............

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

Collector Inspector wrote:The pin shown is on the other side clamp so..............

B
.....???????????
shouldn't be easy to take the pin out or turn it?
Last edited by 2dogsnight on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

trying to take the gas tank off.... both nuts come off easy, but one bolt is stuck in the hole .....looks like lots of brass "rust" around it.......what to do??
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

rust was like a concrete, holding the bolt in place, started picking at it with a narrow metal pin......after getting part of it out, bolt give out and finally had the tank off the motor....

here is the rust:
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7 ... C259ot1lsi
another shot of the same:
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7 ... 7259ot1lsi

motor on wall stand, no tank :-)
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7 ... B259ot1lsi

.......now need to clean the tank inside from whatever is blocking the fuel from flowing to the carburetor - carburetor was rebuild.
What is the best way to clean the tank??
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

finally got the pin out....lots of corrosion, that's why the pin was not moving much....now is working well. :P
Attachments
Seagull no gas tank.jpg
phil

Post by phil »

Can't tell from the photos whether the tank is brass or steel, either way, now that it is off, remove the fuel tap if it is still attached.

Get some driveway gravel about a cupful that is small enough to put in tank through fuel cap hole, stick a rag or cork in the fuel tap hole, put some dish soap ( Dawn works good) in and half fill with hot water. Shake until your arms are tired, refill with fresh hot water and soap, redo until tank is clean. If you have a cement mixer, strap or jamb the tank in near the opening and leave it run for 1/2 an hour at a time till it looks quite clean inside, when you are satisfied, rinse out, recheck, and shake out the gravel. BBQ rotisserie might work but much slower, or anything that rotates slowly enough that the gravel slides around inside. Some use drywall screws, or nuts and bolts instead of gravel. If it is a steel tank ( originally painted blue) you may want or need to coat the inside with a fuel tank coating such as POR-15 (usually sold on line or mail order) You may want to google POR-15 or fuel proof gas tank. Brass tanks usually do not need this treatment.
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

Seagull rust3.jpg
cooling.jpg
well, I took the lower part off the motor, wanting to make sure that cooling passages are clean. I cleaned passages in the motor as much as I could with a wire, blasted with compress air until no chunks were coming out of it......an put it back together....now cleaning the tank and need to start it to see if I am getting good water flow trough it......and if it's running well.......but that's next weekend.
Took apart the mount and cleaned the channel that mounting rod ...(?) is going trough ......it was full of aluminum corrosion. I did run a drill bit trough it, and took most of it out.
Feeling pretty good about getting to know the motor!.
The exhaust pipe is very corroded in one spot and I would like to get a new one. Will look in metal shops, see if anyone carry the size I need.
The fuel tank is painted blue....but is a brass one ??!!
Thank you for your help!

Wojo
phil

Post by phil »

Sounds like you were lucky on the tank then. Brass so much better, even if you are not a brass polisher.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I'd also recommend the using the gravel to clean the tank out, here is my way of doing it:

1. Fill with parafin and leave overnight.
2. Drain and repeat for 2 hours.Keep repeating this until all oily sludge has gone.
3. Add the peagravel and shake like a maracca, after removing the fuel tap, to avoid damaging the filter. Do this for a while
4. Add a strong caustic soda/water mix and leave overnight.
5. Drain and repeat step 3.
6. Repeat step 4.
7. Keep repeating until you are happy :P
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

not time this weekend to do much...but managed to take a picture of the tank.....what you guys think about the inside?? Does is look clean enough....or needs it ??
Attachments
tank4.jpg
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Not sure what you define grave as in the UK but in Australia its what we construct our roads with and consists of 40% clay 60% crushed rock.. not what you want to introduce into a fuel system. If you must, use 5 to 10mm clean blue metal, make sure you flush with copious supplies of clean fresh water and blow dry.

AJ
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

I don't know what a "blue metal" is.....?
phil

Post by phil »

Adrian, that is why we usually say driveway gravel, it appears that it means the same thing here (Canada) as in the U.K.
Here it is small crushed hard rock usually 3/4" and smaller diameter, at times it is what we call pea gravel which is around 3/8" dia. rounded stone. The 3/4" crushed rock is also used here to cover the foundation drains piping In house construction. If it had clay in it we would not call it gravel, when we say gravel we mean either clean natural stone or crushed rock, it normally does not even have sand in it.
How stone comes to be called " blue metal" is as much a mystery to me.