79 Forty plus, clutch, long shaft

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

2dogsnight

Re: 79 Forty plus, clutch, long shaft

Post by 2dogsnight »

went out last night. Had problems keep it running at first. Died on me ....got it to start again and would run good on at least half open throttle....with two of us in the boat we were going 5mph according to GPS......I like that!
Had a fresh gas mixed 25:1 with an old oil :x motor never run that bad like last night.....would not idle unless had some throttle
Gas cap would not seal the tank.....when tilted for launch gas was leaking out......
Only good thing was the speed of the boat - happy with that!
Need to keep working on it!
What material to use to make a new seal for gas cap??
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

got some 1/8" thick cork and made some gaskets for the gas cap. Sealed tank may result in better running motor.
gas cap.jpg
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

have not use my Seagull for few years - just not enough HP for the boat I wanted to use on. Got a 7.5 HP Johnson and is doing good job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0v27cB0uAE
However I just got a 12' Feather Craft aluminum boat and that's when the Seagull would come handy. Well, had the motor running but just discovered ( with a help form CA based Seagull parts place) that my ignition system was not producing sparks......long story short the high tention lead wire was corroded and during testing it broke off at the base.
Now looking for schematic or pictures , to figure out how to replace it.......
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

here is my EFCPL running few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZMI97jAg8
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

Here is my Feather Craft. Made new motor mount, trying to set up the right height for long shaft - looking back I am pretty sure I could adjust the height collar that Seagull has - not thinking - or thinking late :P
floating.jpg
2dogsnight

Post by 2dogsnight »

SO using spark tester I have found that there was no spark. After maybe 20 pulls I saw 1 spark. Resigning to the fact that there is an ignition problem I was taking tester off. Then decided to see if there are some loose connection and pulled gently on lead wire - it came off - here are the pictures. Don't know anything how is connected and how to fix it.
IMAG1047.jpg
IMAG1048.jpg
IMAG1049.jpg