new here with questions

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

henry hawk

new here with questions

Post by henry hawk »

I just did a 500 mile trip up the west coast British Columbia. I'm from Salt Spring Island. 17 ft glass i/2 cabin fish boat with a 2 hp Honda. As backup motor I took my short 40 Seagull and was amazed to find it was quieter than the Honda and used one liter of fuel in 1:25 minites, 1/2 what the Honda used. But, it went about one knot slower. So, I've popped the five blade prop on the small motor. Is that ok? If it doesn't work, I'll put one of my 100 Seagulls on. Can I simply cut down the shafts and drive tub to shorten the motor? I have lots of pieces if any one is desperate for a hard to find part. I'd forgotten what a great little engine Gulls are......henry
phil

Re: new here with questions

Post by phil »

Water cooled almost always quieter than air cooled. Interesting to hear the fuel consumption difference. A 40 featherweight is somewhat shorter and lighter than a regular 40. The prop is smaller though and the gearbox 2.1:1 rather than 3.5:1. Not sure how that will impact your cruising speed. A century 100 with Villers carb and a 9" five blade prop may do a little better.

Sounds like the boat could be quite heavy, probably better with a Century or Silver Century.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Doubtt he 5 blade prop will work ont he small motor.
Yes you can cut a long haft engine down to a short, or any length you want for that matter. Just cut equal amounts off the driveshaft tube, exhaust tube, water tube and the driveshaft. If you have a clutch, you will need to cut the shift rod as well. A bit tricky to cut from the top as you will need to make sure you account for the bend and make th enew bend correctly. Cutting from the bottom is more accurate but you will also need the correct die to rethread it.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Great to see a Seagull getting a decent run their amazing little motors very reliable once sorted, we used Century 100’s
on our long (2,000km) run only had minor issues they are noisy a long tiller helped.

John