Marston- To Break or not To Break

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

JERSEYMAN

Marston- To Break or not To Break

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Hello guys, I just picked up this motor today as I needed a fuel tank and a gearbox/water pump, the power head is in very poor condition, seized, cracked block, looks like water has got into the motor so I can imagine the crank may be shot also the tiller has snapped of the bracket but on the OA's it's only a bolt on item not broken casing, on the plus side most of it is there albeit in poor condition and it's a really early low serial number OA313 which makes it the 213th off the line and the JM number is correct. For me the problem is that the tank which need is in really good condition with some of the decal left and the gearbox which I also need appears to be in good condition and when I spun the gearbox with a drill it pumped water well.

The question is, do I break this motor for the parts I need for a restoration of a much better condition motor or not so that I will still need parts to complete my restoration.

What would you guys do? I was wondering what the consensus was as I am a little isolated here and if I mention this dilemma to someone, the answer would probably be "get rid of the lot and buy something new" I also hate breaking a rare motor for parts.

Thanks Guys,

Rene
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Oyster 49

Re: Marston- To Break or not To Break

Post by Oyster 49 »

Personally I would not break it as it is a rare engine. Why not restore it as a run for 10 seconds engine, or even as a static display in a nice glass cabinet 8)

As you say it is all there , but obviously the block is shot, but could be filled with epoxy, done well you would never know!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Ps send it to me I'll make it look beautiful again! :o
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

If you are going to use it for your own collection I would use parts from it for your other motors or if, as you say, this is an early number use the crank assembly, mag,tank and box and use the parts from your other motor to rebuild this one. It is not as if you are going to bin what is left over and other parts will surface. Fortunately they didn't have matching numbers for components unlike early vehicles. It's all about the end result of having motors that reflect originality from the company's gate. I would imagine finding a replacement block in good condition to be very remote. ( I prefer the word "part" to "break" or perhaps you can decide to "archieve" the parts :D sounds more forgiving )
phil

Post by phil »

If OA 313 stays in your collection after removing the parts and you keep a record of which motor received them, the process is reversible, I can not see how anyone could complain about that. If parts for OA 313 or the motor that got parts from it are found then you have the option of returning the parts.

Based on your record of finding Marstons it may not be too long before you have the parts you need.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I would keep it together cleaned up and tidy but not "Pretty"

A reasonable engine number open for discussion over beers or coffee in your "Man Shed" or other internet conversations aye?.

I see no expenditure in its future other than that unless the registery contacts you with a block replacement.

The barrel can be made to look complete. That has been done before.

Enjoy it or send to me.

Nah!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I would keep it in one piece, you have plenty of others to play with.

You never know what spares may turn up next.

In a few years you may be able to print some new bits for it.

H-A
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Print New Bits?

I awaiting a lung print.

Seriously

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Yup, if only I could find a block this would turn into a real restoration project,

Print one! Well I read that they are now printing edible fruit, I wonder if they can print a new wife with a volume control knob :shock:
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Bruce, they are even printing metal in Aus

http://www.3d-printers.com.au/technologies/dmls/

Give it ten years, we will all be printing spare parts.

H-A
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

I think I have heard that some printed parts are used on army aircrafts! So we may need just the drawings.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Sandro Picchio

Post by Sandro Picchio »

If you break it, sooner or later you will regret it.
This is my feeling.

Sandro
weddigen

Post by weddigen »

Based on your track record in discovering,unearthing or otherwise obtaining gems of motors you'll probably trip over OA314 in perfect order on the way to collect an SD classic (as new) in its wooden crate- hang on and wait a few days! Lovely Motor! :D
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

So when will you start taking orders for Marstons, you find so many. We need a few in Australia.
Keep it for spares, the serial number makes it worth you saving. You will have a head for it long before i have one.

Old outboards never die, its just the people looking after them that do.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I feel I must write this as today it came to light that in buying this motor I have really upset a lot of people. For that I must apologise and am very sorry as I had no intention in upsetting anyone, I bought this motor minus the clamp from eBay in two parts, a tank and a lower half as a "buy it now" and the vendor gave me the rest of the motor for very little. I had absolutely no idea that there were any negotiations behind the scenes I just went "click" as we all do and the items were mine. As it was a buy it now I payed well over the odds and I honestly did not realise I was treading on any ones toes or not playing by the rules in any way, I just thought I was lucky as a couple of the parts I needed came on the open market in which anyone could have bought them.

I have always considered myself an honest and just man and I cannot express how bad I feel about this situation and to anyone that may feel they have been out done, for that I am very very sorry.

I think this will be my last post, I wish to thank you to all the people that have helped me in my passion, you know who you are.

Rene