Marston- To Break or not To Break

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: Marston- To Break or not To Break

Post by Oyster 49 »

If there was a buy it know on offer and you clicked then whats the problem? Please keep the posts coming Rene, as I find them very interesting and informative. We are all enthusiasts and I for one would like to see more about these old seagulls, instead of the hush hush whispers.

You bought it fair and square. If the seller was also negotiating elsewhere and that person(s) is upset, well its tough, as it's the seller that did not remove the item when other negotiations were afoot.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Hey Rene, you are the last one to be blamed for the situation. I don't know the incidents on the background, I had only seen the listings. Since there was a buy it now price and you bought them? I can't find anything wrong on that. In case the seller had given promises or whatever that's another story that has no connection with you.
After all you weren't informed about anything.

It may be a sensitive matter when it comes to such models, maybe they are models most loved and many people won't touch, but for me it doesn't mean that you should not post. I always enjoy such posts.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Can you pick up one of these Rene?

Love to see one.
Attachments
marston twin.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, I'd be fascinated to see even some photos close up of one of these. there are 3 in the UK, one in bits I understand, and another in the US somewhere.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Hugz wrote:Can you pick up one of these Rene?

Love to see one.
There will be one to be found in AU Hugo......................I feel it in my Bones.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
phil

Post by phil »

I love to see your posts and in that way share in your joy of discovery, please don't stop because someone got their feathers ruffled. After all, in the end obviously they were not aggressive enough to make a deal.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

JERSEYMAN wrote:I feel I must write this as today it came to light that in buying this motor I have really upset a lot of people. For that I must apologise and am very sorry as I had no intention in upsetting anyone, I bought this motor minus the clamp from eBay in two parts, a tank and a lower half as a "buy it now" and the vendor gave me the rest of the motor for very little. I had absolutely no idea that there were any negotiations behind the scenes I just went "click" as we all do and the items were mine. As it was a buy it now I payed well over the odds and I honestly did not realise I was treading on any ones toes or not playing by the rules in any way, I just thought I was lucky as a couple of the parts I needed came on the open market in which anyone could have bought them.

I have always considered myself an honest and just man and I cannot express how bad I feel about this situation and to anyone that may feel they have been out done, for that I am very very sorry.

I think this will be my last post, I wish to thank you to all the people that have helped me in my passion, you know who you are.

Rene
I hope you'll reconsider your decision too Rene. It would be a big loss to the forum if you were no longer posting here. I for one am very interested to see your continued progress with the restoration of the Marstons. Perhaps have a break from it for a few weeks and see how you feel about it then.

I can understand how these situations can arise with an outboard as desirable as a Marston, however as previous posters have said, whoever has taken issue with your purchase should really take their grievances to the seller of the outboard.

I'm not sure if you know already, but you can prevent people from having the ability to private message you or email you. If you go into the "user control panel" and select "board preferences", it will give you the options to not allow other members to contact you by pm or email.

Thanks for all of your input in to the forum and we can all see that you are passionate about your outboard collection. The very fact that you're asking for other peoples input into your decision about whether to break the outboard or not shows that you are mindful of the historic preservation of these outboards for future generations.

Unfortunately as parts are scarce, eventually some of these damaged marstons are going to have to become donor motors in order to keep other Marstons in running order.

Cheers Pat
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Hang in there Rene.

You are doing well collecting Marstons.

I saw the bits on ebay, well done for gathering it up again, I almost bought the tank as a restoration project.

There will always be comments, that you have paid too much for that engine, but it is your decision to "buy it now".

Some Marstons dissapear from ebay, because people contact the seller and do a deal outside ebay, that should upset people.

If an item is put into an auction as a "buy it now" how can you have been treading on peoples toes.

If your pockets are deep enough, then buy buy buy. I can't see a down turn in any classic machine market.

Some people want to steal them at a bargain price, but in real terms if you want it buy it, it is still a cheap hobby.

I think my height adjusting collar may have come off that one. :D

H-A
Collector Inspector

Rene

You do NOT have permission from anyone here to submit a "Last Post" notification!

Please continue as you do with your/our hobby and YOUR enjoyment. I have no idea (and I/we do not want any details) as to why you would feel to express that sentiment. Just carry on having fun Mate!

I believe I speak for us all in that.

Seriously!

B
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

RENE

just remember this.
not every seagull can be saved.
parts used on another aged gull is (in my book at least) perfectly acceptable.
keep them going, thats what i reckon. even if its not "quite right". a running engine is better than a static display model.

LAST POST, ABSOLUTELY NOT

jon
supersaint61

Post by supersaint61 »

well well well .. it.s all jealousy .. i.m the guy who sold it ,, i did mention to someone i had it and sent him photo's but was told i would be lucky to get £75 for it .. so i put it on ebay to see what response i got .. after it sold i had a call and was told that you guy's should'nt buy of e'bay as it inflates the price and it should be left to the registry to buy bits FROM NOW ON I WON'T PUT ANY OTHER MARSTON BITS ON E'BAY AND WILL SELL TO RENNE DIRECT NOT TO UPSET ANYONE ...
croweater

Post by croweater »

Hi guys just thought I would put my 2 cents worth in JERSEYMAN you bought a dead motor on ebay if the end
result is a couple of running motors you will still have enough parts left over to make a dead motor for display
or dust collecting.

JERSEYMAN I hope you keep posting if blokes like you weren’t around we wouldn’t see or learn anything about
Marston’s keep hunting.

“would be lucky to get 75 pounds for it” I’m sitting here gutted I paid nearly double that for a Century motor
that turned out to be rubbish inside the guy was trying to steal it.

John
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

I would modify and race it maybe modified 102 barrel on it, twin carbs. Silver century ignition and see what happens. :D :D :D :D
Collector Inspector

supersaint61 wrote: .. after it sold i had a call and was told that you guy's should'nt buy of e'bay as it inflates the price and it should be left to the registry to buy bits....
Really?

Registry?

Interesting that.

Rene...................................you keep on keeping on Mate!

supersaint61..........................you keep on selling to Rene without a doubt!

B
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

RENE
you bought it fair and square.
if it keeps another "old dear" from the great seagull cemetery in the sky, well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

jon