British Seagull Outboards (YouTube Clips)

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

pat777

Re: British Seagull Outboards (YouTube Clips)

Post by pat777 »

Hey Stelios_Rjk,

I like that Forty plus, you have. It seems to be running very well, not that your other gulls are not running well. But the forty plus appears to running particularly well. It seems to be tuned up just right and has a good sound to it. Did it come to you in such good condition or did you restore it? I like the response from the throttle lever too. Nice one.

Cheers Pat

I'll have to get myself one of these Marstons some day to hang on the wall...

What do others think of this running seagulls for short bursts with no water flowing through, I certainly wouldn't be doing it if I was ever lucky enough to own a Marston, but I guess they can't get too hot if just run for a short period. What would be the time limit for running in such a manner, I suppose it should be seconds and not minutes anyway?
pat777

Post by pat777 »

pat777 wrote:Here is a YouTube clip to get the thread started, also with some underwater shots showing the prop rotating, quite interesting to see the propulsion caused by the propeller spinning. I've noticed a number of SOS forum members are posting YouTube clips of their British Seagull outboards running. I don't think you will get a more interested and captive audience than here in this thread.

If you are not familiar with how to use the new YouTube tab button when posting, here is an explanation. So Cick for posting a new topic and there is a tab above where you're typing your post, that says YouTube. This is what should appear when you click on it. [YouTube][/YouTube]. Then you copy and paste the clip you want to show in between the two sets of brackets [YouTube]www.youtube.com/watch[/YouTube] and then submit. So if you have any interesting YouTube Clips showing your seagulls in action or even captive in a barrel of water, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy viewing them.
:!:
I'm unable to edit my first post anymore, so I have decided to put it in again. It is just to draw your attention to something that Stelios_Rjk discovered when trying to post some clips. It is important that if copying a link in that it has "http" and not "https". It has just happened to me just now when posting the last clip so I guess it is pretty common. :!:
Stelios_Rjk wrote:The problem is the letter "s"

Links starting with "https..." won't work. Links starting with "http..." works. Just remove this d**n "s". I was trying for 15min to find what's going on.
Cheers Pat

Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Hi Pat,

The forty plus is actually John's Seagull. A friend of mine and member also here. I restored it for him. It has plenty of compression and I also set the gaps (spark plug and points).
Certainly a nice little engine.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Pat7777,
It was me who ran the 2 Marstons out of water. As a bit of background I have been building and rebuilding outboards for more than 40 years, and have never had a problem running engines out of water for a short time. I will typically not run them more than a minute or so and low rpm's. I will also monitor the temp with my hand on the engine, and when it gets too hot, I shut them down. Too hot is when you can't keep your hand hand on them.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Michael. It sounds like you know what you're doing so. Whereas I don't, so I don't take chances with things like that. Thanks for giving me instructions on the running time etc. Thanks for uploading the clip to YouTube, I hope you don't mind me posting it here in this thread. I figured that if people are happy to let fellow youtubers see their clips, that they would also be happy to show them to fellow seagull owners.

Do you still have the two Marstons? The teardrop exhaust shape is what really makes those motors stand out from the later gulls. I wonder why they ever changed it, I guess it was for ease of manufacture and to control costs?

Here is a 40 plus, with a cooling modification. Anybody else tried something like this, the low revs and no water flowing can be problematic with seagulls. I wonder is this worth considering as a means of maintaining the flow.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Pat777,
No problem posting the youtube video on here - has been on here before, posted by me. I actually only have 1.5 Marstons (you can see the half on the grass in the video). The one closest to the camera is mine, (and the better one), the other belongs to a friend of mine and I restored/got it running for him.
Think you might be surprised how long you can run an engine without cooling water before it gets too hot.
Also, I would never do that with an engine that uses a rubber impeller unless the gearcase was removed.

Have no idea why Seagull went "backwards" re the teardrop exhaust and the streamlined gearcase. Probably money.

The cooling mod on the 40 plus. Yes I beleiev this would work due to the siphon effect of the longer discharge tube. I have never tried it though, as I basically only run my Seagulls wide open, as in racing them, so a non issue for me.
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Michael, both the Marstons look good to me, but I'll take your word that your friends is a better example. I might give that cooling mod a go. I'm only using the boat on the canals, with a 4mph speed limit, so it can be an issue when the revs are low, when slowing down to go under a bridge etc., perhaps when I get better at controlling the boat it might not be so much of an issue.

Cheers Pat

Michael

Post by Michael »

Short vid on the round the island race, Bermuda style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzcHqkPtmtU
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Those seas look inviting! This is the same video as posted by Michael above.

Also for everybody to make posting easier, if when you are posting a link and you highlight the link and then click the YouTube tab button, then the YouTube brackets will automatically wrap around the link and open it, so it can be viewed within the thread. Up until now I had been cutting and pasting the link in between the brackets. It's possibly stating the obvious but just thought I'd mention it to perhaps make things easier for others.

[/quote]
pat777

Post by pat777 »

pat777

Post by pat777 »

Updated water cooling modification YouTube clip. Thanks to atoyot for posting. This is a link to a thread discussing the cooling water modification.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1510&p=8891

pat777

Post by pat777 »

Interesting way to show a seagull running with "muffs" so to speak, so that everything can be seen in action. It's hard to make out how the hose is connected up to the block. Has anybody else got a similar set up for connecting up a hose to the square block on your seagull?

Robin Anderson

Re:Paradise Lost(withiel)

Post by Robin Anderson »

[YouTube]Image[/YouTube]
Took the Longliner to Lostwithiel on the tide. Very tolerable.

Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
pat777

Re: Re:Paradise Lost(withiel)

Post by pat777 »

I can't see the clip. It's an mp4 file but it doesn't seem to be working with the youtube button. Does anybody know a way of getting it to run within the forum. Edit (Never mind, you have to click on the top photo and you are forwarded to the photobucket site to watch the video)

Seems to be trundling along nicely Robin.

Cheers Pat