1943 SD, New to the forum

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

BillyKnight

1943 SD, New to the forum

Post by BillyKnight »

Hello,

don't know if anyone noticed my post in the Boats section on my little yacht Sard, but this is about the engine I suppose so here is my 43 SD just after a little run in todays wonderful sunshine.

I know its not 100% correct, main things are it should have the inlet trumpet thing and the pull start disc should be "Villiers magneto" not "British Seagull". Also maybe the tiller should be steel not brass, I still have the steel one that was on it but I like the brass one!
The prop has the oddball mark on it which I think denotes it as ex-military/navy.

It runs really well, I look forward to testing it! I have had 102s and centuries as well. All very good motors.
If anyone has any bits that would make this more correct then I would be interested, esp. the Villiers mag disc thing...
The tank is brass and is off a later one but I have an earlier type tank pictured, but has the wrong cap. I was thinking of fixing that tank up with new transfers and stuff, its got no serious dents..
Should I restore it?

Whatever happens I will use it..
Hope the pics load up!
Billy
Attachments
IMG_4287.JPG
IMG_4286.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4284.JPG
IMG_4283.JPG
Stelios_Rjk

Re: 1943 SD, New to the forum

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Welcome to the forum!

Nice boat and nice engine! Doesn't need many things to change. What has happened with the original tank? I can't understand from the picture if there is a problem with the fuel cap.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Nice engine, looks like it has not had too much butchery done! What's the engine number?

The fuel pipe should be copper and the float bowl should be the other side of the carb body. As for restoration, very much up to you, as it is already a decent runner. 8)
BillyKnight

Post by BillyKnight »

Thanks for the response guys,

the engine number looks like SD 1963 P3 to me. I don't think it has been messed about with much, but has obviously seen a fair bit of action. The petrol tank mounts are aluminium castings which is unlike other engines have had.
There is hardly end float in the crank bushes too, the gearbox is like new, so all in all a quiet (for a seagull) and good functioning unit.

I am not sure what to do with it really, spends a lot of time getting admiring looks in my shed!

Do you think its worth tarting up the other tank with the cam lock type cap? I guess the problem becomes where do you stop...
Its a great runner, the last guy who owned it ran it on his yacht for years, major seagull lover he was...
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Should I restore it?
You have a piece of unaltered WWII history. Do you think they are going to make any more of it? Buffing away the original paint and patina aint so cool as leaving it. I have yet to come across an antique or collectible market where reproduction stickers and buffing wheels increase value or desirability. Doing nothing to it leaves you the option to meddle with it in the future stripping it today means it is altered forever.
BillyKnight

Post by BillyKnight »

David,
you are right. The world is full of restored machines, and you can't go back.
Well said, thanks.
Billy.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Billy:

It sure is a beautiful machine, I don't think you'll get tired of looking at it anytime soon. Be cool to get the original parts but the ones you are missing are the ones that make sense to be missing so it aint a big deal. Not like you are sporting a briggs gas tank and golf club tiller LOL. I am not 100% sure about it but I think some old engine guys give old paint a wipe with maybe linseed oil to brighten it up with out deteriorating it. Again I am not in anyway sure about the implications/complications of doing so I just saw an old washing machine engine with roached hammertone black paint that the owner had wiped down and it gave it a clean look. Maybe check with the UK stationary engine crowd they are into 'preservation' over 'restoration' these days.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The best thing to do with this one is exactly as David says - leave it as it is. If more authentic bits become available, then of course fit them, but you may have to wait a while.

Original steel tanks are very scarce, but they are very similar in general shape to the later brass ones. Jubilee clips are available, but new ones tend to be matric rather than imperial (if that bothers you) and although it has been reported here that zinc plated ones are still around I haven't seen any.

The transom bracket is always a point of debate with these motors. If an original 'skeletal' bronze one turns up it may be more 'authentic' but in my experience they are not actually very good brackets, and they can vibrate apart in use. There's a reason they didn't stay in production long, it's my guess that falling apart may be that reason. So using the one you have is a sensible option.

The tiller arm - well I have to admit I like brass too! And I have a brass one on an SD because I like it.

David is also quite correct about the stationary engine fraternity. There has been a recent movement away from gleaming restorations complete with gold leaf and decals towards a more 'conservation rather than renewal' approach. They refer to it as displaying their old engines 'in their working clothes' which I think is a fair description.

Painting and restoring old tanks is something I have done in the past. Modern paint allows for a very glossy finish that's durable and easy to apply. However it doesn't look much like the real thing. Nor do the decals usually, although those sold by John are the best around. You end up with a gleaming glistening tank that looks fabulous but with a fragile finish.

Nice motor, lovely that it's being used.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

I would get a brass air intake trumpet from John. Not expensive but correct for your sd.
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Yeah trumpet would be wise, I don't know for sure but I suspect they do something to the intake air that encourages a better combustion mix? Plus brass just looks dam fine!
BillyKnight

Post by BillyKnight »

I might look at one of those. I think we are all thinking similarly. Make it more correct with the trumpet but don't restore it as such, that tank still has the remains of the old transfers!
What about the pull start disc? Does anyone have the "Villiers magneto" one kicking round as a spare. There maybe someone looking for the small "British Seagull" one I have..I think that may be a slightly oddball part as well.
I need some gearbox oil so I'll see if there are any of the trumpets left then, they do look nice. You'd need to be careful that nothing falls in there!