Seagull Crates

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

1650bullet

Seagull Crates

Post by 1650bullet »

Can anyone help me with the dimensions of a seagull crate please. I have a heap of timber from work that i can use to make up 2 crates. I would like to make one for a 102 and a 40-plus. I could leave the motors in them and it would be great to keep the motors from getting damaged. What i was after was Length--Height--Width--Depth. I was also after a pic of the insides that clamp the motor in there. Many Thanks
Collector Inspector

Re: Seagull Crates

Post by Collector Inspector »

Me too actually.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

I built one for a 40 plus long leg with a square steel tank. The widest dimensions were determined by the width of the tank at the mounting bolts. Built it so that the bolts slide down a groove to keep the engine from sliding up or down and hitting the tank cap or skeg. Leg is supported with a notched piece that supports the gear box (not the dentable aluminum tube) once you look at the gear box/pump housing you will see there is a spot there that is perfect.

To dimension the box I laid the engine on the ground (tank down) and with the leg slightly angled down (so that it does not drain into the crank/block) Then used a steel sqaure to measure it out. Maybe it was 42x16x? . I built the box as a solid mass then set a rip fence on the skil saw for a 2 inch offset and cut the lid off. IMHO building boxes and lids seperately is a fool's errand, but that said I am a terrible cabinet maker. The piece that supports the leg also gives a location to afix the transom mount.

Now here is the down side. A box for a 40 plus becomes HUGE, out of all proportion for the tiny engine. I ended up not afixing the lid and using it as an open box.

I have some 1/4 ply to build a box for a brass tank short leg 40 and this time I am not going to make it rectangular. I am going to make it "form fitting" i.e large at one end and tapered to the prop. I might even go so far as to make it only fit an engine with the prop off. pins are cheaper then packing space. Even a form fitting box will leave you space to store tools, spare prop, mixing oil, etc along with the engine. A non form fitting box gives space for anchors, boom boxes circa 1985, kitchen sinks and a six pack or 2.

My goal was to create something that would allow me to carry the engine in the boat during transport or as a spare engine when afloat. The box was suppose to double as a transverse seat in the middle of the boat. Like I mention above tho it became too big in a hurry. If keeping the drips and smells out of your car boot is the goal I'd go with pond liner material glued/riveted into a bag with a roll over waterproof top.

If you are trying to recreat an exact replica I think I have some detailed pics from an auction.

I'll go take a pic of my ugly box.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Not sure if this is any help
seagull box.jpg
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Here are some pics. I would not suggest building anything as ugly or rushed but posted them to illustrate just how much dead space a rectangular box creates when you have a square tank.

david

Post by david »

Is that a DEAD Seagull....it's tiller is hanging down and the prop looks a little off....what killed it? Nice coffin though....a bit of red silk and you are in.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

DSC02992.JPG
sjp still in box.jpg
$T2eC16ZHJI!E9qSO9e2zBRb66Z4iZ!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16hHJGUFFhy7H!(oBRb66Wl)cw~~60_57.JPG
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I keep looking at the boot sales for one of these.
mar box.jpg
I may make one when I have spare timber.

It would be nice to see the OA storage box option, mentioned in the spares book.

H-A
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Horsley-Anarak wrote:
DSC02992.JPG
sjp still in box.jpg
$T2eC16ZHJI!E9qSO9e2zBRb66Z4iZ!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16hHJGUFFhy7H!(oBRb66Wl)cw~~60_57.JPG

H-A. Is that your actual crate that youve taken pics of. If so thats what i was after. Could i please ask if you could take some measurements for me Length--Width--Depth. Many Thanks
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

This crate came with a forty to the owner of a Halvorsen cruiser to be used with the tender. It is debatable whether it was built by Halvorsen or Seagull. The handle has been added later.
Attachments
crate4.JPG
crate3.JPG
crate2.JPG
crate1.JPG
crate.JPG
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Thats a good one Hugo. I have just found out that the crates were only used for carting seagulls to dealships and customers abroad. Once the motor was delivered, it was returned to seagull Factory in poole and a deposit was returned. I always thought that the crate came with the motor, but all it was used for was transport. So one seagull crate could of shipped a number of motors in its life time.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

1650bullet wrote:
H-A. Is that your actual crate that youve taken pics of. If so thats what i was after. Could i please ask if you could take some measurements for me Length--Width--Depth. Many Thanks
No sorry I just saved pictures as I saw them.

You should be able to scale it near enough.

H-A
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Imagine finding an unmentionable in a crate like that brand new...then woke up and fell outta bed...big time.
chris

Post by chris »

hello kean I actually have one
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

chris wrote:hello kean I actually have one

Hmmmmmmmmm. Do you now. Next time im at your place i will have to hit you over the back of the head and sneek it in the back of my car. :lol: :lol: :lol: