Plastic fuel tank...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

david1230

Plastic fuel tank...

Post by david1230 »

I'm all for originality when it comes to Seagulls, all the parts and pieces that make a BS what it is, and that goes for all the many models out there.
We all have our favorites and many forum members have a complete collection, all in great condition.
I noticed over the months I've been a member that one part in particular seems to be a hassle when it comes to availability and some mates are even prepared to risk their lives to repair it as new or just about. :shock:
You guessed it...the fuel tank. Our proud to be dented, puckered and corner-crushed faithful fuel tanks. The ones that have to be plugged to an auxiliary source when racing, and when not connected has us gawking often at our watches to try and gauge the fuel remaining before we stick out the oars. The tank that almost gets you there and then tries its best to get the engine to cough while sucking on the remaining fumes for the return trip. :(
Anyone ever think of getting copies of Seagull tanks in different volumes made out of plastic...like the hundred different ones out there manufactured for lawnmowers, snowblowers etc? The exterior could be highly polished and even incorporate a fuel gauge and could be of different colors like the originals...especially BRASS ! :lol:
ABS can't be dented and certainly will not rust out. The tanks would blend with the motors and be inexpensive as replacements. If people out there can make highly refined plastic parts for just about anything you can buy and make them look good, why not get a manufacturer to copy the Seagull's tanks and we could market them with different adapters that would make them usable even on many other older makes of motors of similar design as the Gull?
I noticed that some members on here own or have access to machine shops or the like...maybe some are into plastics and the subject could tickle their interest?
Anyhoo...just throwing the topic out to you mates for thought...
Cheers!
Attachments
plastic_fuel_tank.jpg
Silver Century 1971, Evinrude 8hp 1988, Evinrude 2hp 1987
Horsley-Anarak

Re: Plastic fuel tank...

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

If someone could find the original Seagull plastic tank moulds, I think they would be onto a winner.

Send the moulds out to China, get five thousand made at a couple of USD each.

Then sell them for a tenner each.

Plastic tanks are much nicer than the rusty steel or dented brass ones, what has happened to the moulds?

I bet Charles L has explored this avenue. :)

H-A
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Horsley-Anarak wrote:Plastic tanks are much nicer than the rusty steel or dented brass ones, what has happened to the moulds?
Surely you jest?
Attachments
plastic tank.JPG
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looks like that one needs a wash Huggy, I do find that they solve the very common crap in the fuel problem.

If they were readily available at a good price then perhaps the Seagull reliability issue would be less of a problem.

I personally think the best retro fit spare part for the person who want to use their seagull seriously or race it, is a plastic tank.

H-A
david1230

Post by david1230 »

Hugz...face it. Dats a ugly tank mate! Looks more like a seized hot water bottle! :lol:
But I click to H-A's suggestion about Chinese low-budget units, as long as they're EXACT replicas.
And not to insult you I might add that the tank on your pic would look very good...on a lawnmower!!! :D
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Tell me about it. Apparently the mountings are quite fragile too.

If I use caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) to clean inside... will it melt?
david1230

Post by david1230 »

It's melting now...just give it time and you won't even have to remove it. It'll disappear completely! :lol:
mrford

Post by mrford »

I don't know wonder how much it would be to make new brass ones stamp the ends and roll the rest silver solder and use your fuel fill neck soft soldered in ??? If I had a bad one on a nice motor I would give 100 bux for a perfect replacement just solder the neck and paint !!! A perfect top for your motor ??? But plastic with the proper shape and glossy with a nice transfer would be nice and very serviceable !!! Good idea !!! VIC
david1230

Post by david1230 »

So let's make it a resolution for the coming year. :!:
These tanks would certainly rejuvenate many Gulls and add years to their serviceable lives through lack of contaminants that so often jam carbs and render motors unreliable.
I assume many a Gull has been put to pasture because of faulty tank problems. :(
Maybe a time will come when the next generation of young owners will think of our idea and tank us? :roll:
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Whats the problem with the brass tanks ? its not as if they rust through
also the fuel system is well filtered normally with 2 filters one in the tank and one in the carb
david1230

Post by david1230 »

Very true...but many tanks aren't made of brass and most are dented in an unsightly way (even if it's a Seagull trade "mark"). The old adage "If it ain't dented it ain't a Seagull" is often said. :wink:
How many queries do we read on here regarding hopeless, problematic tanks?
I for one would love to have a larger cylindrical one on my Silver Century, and plastic would not bother me at all as long as the unit doesn't clash with the class of the motor. I could have one or two oval ones too and keep them as spares with fresh petrol and quick-connect petcock couplers and bracket wing-nuts.
Anything is possible with the right fabrication, and plastic lends itself to this in a remarkable and cheap way.

Only a suggestion...I don't want to capsize anyone's dinghy! :P
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I don't like plastic. Wonder if a Roo's bladder would work?

Would be better to concentrate on century and silver century engine blocks. They have caused the demise of a large percentage of motors leaving lots of tanks about. Many descriptions on brass tank repairs on this forum and a famous youtube flick that's posed to go viral.

Chilli Dog

Post by Chilli Dog »

When you talk about tanks , lets be clear seagull made quite a varied number of tanks for different models .
The tank we are referring to here is the standard brass tank,used on century models painted black . In most cases when the corner or face of the tank is knocked an unsightly and hard to remove ding is the result .
Ultimately a workable plastic tank would be more expensive than you might think unless it was to sell in large numbers .
I for one am over taking a motor out with a tank that looks like some one sleep on it . But what to do , the steel ones are ugly and corrode leaving rust in the filters .
Taking out a good brass tank exposes it to the fate of the others .
I'm going to make a stainless steel tank similar shape and size to the standard one ,it won't have the radius ends or the name stamped on the side but it will be a bucket load more resilient to damage and at least look tidy .
My question is how much is a decent tank worth to you ?
What would you pay for a top notch real one ?
how much for a plastic one ?
Stainless steel ?
It doesn't matter which one you prefer ,the reality is they take skills effort and money to make tidy which ever option .
you 'll just have to let the moths out of the wallet . :D
Attachments
IMG_3190.jpg
Chilli Dog Racing
bychance

Post by bychance »

When I was given my first motor, a Silver Seagull WS, it had a large 6 litre homemade stainless tank as the original steel one rusted out. I have since replaced it with a brass one, I still have the stainless box and plan to use it for longer trips.
IMG00109-20110417-0935 (2).jpg
its a bit ugly though
its a bit ugly though
david

Post by david »

And it seems to have a fish stuck to it.