Clones

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fortyplus

Re: Clones

Post by fortyplus »

That example sums it up, the manufacturer must cover themselves from being liable for the total stupidity of others. A guy here in UT a few years ago got a multi-million dollar settlement from Blitz the gas/petrol can manufacturer. He poured petrol into a solid fuel stove in his travel trailer/caravan to get try to light it, but because of glowing embers the fuel caught fire and according to his testimony the can exploded, burning him and the whole structure. Based on his testimony that "the can exploded" he got a huge settlement in court in part because one of his children was killed in the ensuing fire - sad as the case was, I still don't see it being anyone's fault but his own. Come to think of it I've not seen a Blitz can for sale since then.

I remember when instruction manuals had all sorts of interesting information and how to adjust and repair things, now they are pretty much just a 20 page legal document to cover their backsides on everything. If they still told you how to adjust valve clearances or something, as soon as some clown injured himself or ruined the vehicle they'd get sued, so less information is better (for them).
1975 Forty Plus L/S 30 hrs from new
1976 Forty Plus L/S 1 Gal. Long Range tank
1983 Silver Century 90 EFNR 32 hrs from new
mrford

Post by mrford »

WOW boy thats totally scary I knew it was bad but had no idea it was that bad . Guess the morons have no idea !!! Stay safe and love that moving parts !!! VIC
fortyplus

Post by fortyplus »

It's very much a reflection of today's society and the way people think. When something goes to a jury trial and the jury of "ordinary folk"s hear a good sob story they seem to feel someone has to pay with a complete disregard for any self responsibility.

On the clone issue it's amusing to remember that Seagulls were once so cutting edge, fashionable and in such demand, that people wanted to copy them - they must have been the Nike or Apple of their day :)
1975 Forty Plus L/S 30 hrs from new
1976 Forty Plus L/S 1 Gal. Long Range tank
1983 Silver Century 90 EFNR 32 hrs from new