Royal engineers handbook

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Royal engineers handbook

Post by Oyster 49 »

I found this whilst rummaging around on google. Jan mentioned the FBE (Folding boat equipment) a while ago. All we need now are some photos :)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97602333/1371 ... ocket-Book
Attachments
Royal engineers handbook.jpg
Charles uk

Re: Royal engineers handbook

Post by Charles uk »

I think you'll find CharlesP has already posted the pictures that this refers to.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Tony Laycock

Post by Tony Laycock »

I saw this posting and thought why not ask the experts so I have contacted the RE Museum to see if they have any further images of these items in service, I await a response.
Tony
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Id love to see a pic or video of a seagull [pontoon bridge building etc]
during the war but i dont think any exist?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Charles SP has a copy of the Army operations manual for the seagull in military service. Other than that, this Royal Engineers booklet is the only official document I have seen or heard of. Having said that I only scratch the surface, by searching the internet and WW2 history forums etc. I'm sure Charles has delved a lot deeper into it.

Tony, It will be interesting to see what the Royal Engineers response is.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I very much doubt that there are any videos of these activities but there might be instructional films & there must be photos.

I know CharlesP has written to all the regimental museums hoping to get a positive response with almost no luck.

It's great that someone is doing more than, just asking questions, everyone approches a task like this from a different direction & can often get slightly different answers, which all help to paint a more detailed picture.
Charles & I have often researched the same query in tandem & Charles has followed a path that I had decided was a waist of time has fallen over a nugget, making my preconceived ideas look stupid.

If you find anything Tony contact CharlesP to check if he's seen your discovery, my areas of research are pre 1938 & post 1980 & are more from an engineering viewpoint than an historical one.

Keep looking!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Tony Laycock

Post by Tony Laycock »

Hi,

No reply as yet, but I am ex RE so played that card as well!

Tony
Tony Laycock

Post by Tony Laycock »

Still no reply from the RE Museum so I think I have drawn a blank on that line.

I have found quite a bit on FBE with pictures etc but nothing yet that shows a Seagull attached.

Interestingly the FBE was designed by the same chap who designed the canoe of Cockleshell hero fame and there is/was a book published about his work so if anybody has a copy of that it may turn something up.

I found another forum with pictures of the FBE as well as a WW2 vet describing how they used them. If anybody is interested click on the link below:

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/nw-europe/ ... boats.html

I will keep digging and update this link if anything else turns up.

Tony
pat777

Seagull in use world war two 2

Post by pat777 »

Could the outboard in the picture be a seagull?, it's difficult to make out with the soldier in the way, perhaps somebody with more seagull knowledge may recognise the tank. Here is a link to the website I copied it from; http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205203107

THE BRITISH ARMY IN NORTH-WEST EUROPE 1944-45. © IWM (BU 61)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Cheers Pat
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

The Motor could be a britannia--Evinrude or an Anzani by the size of it. :?: :?:
pat777

Post by pat777 »

1650bullet wrote:The Motor could be a britannia--Evinrude or an Anzani by the size of it. :?: :?:
Thanks for the reply 1650bullet. I'll have to move the picture to the "Other Old Outboards (Non-Seagulls) forum" so! It's not a great picture of the outboard, but a nice picture all the same, of the camaraderie of the soldiers. A picture of a seagull at work in world war two is proving rather elusive. A lot of the pontoon building pictures don't seem to have any outboards on the boats and are rather relying on oars for propulsion. The search continues....
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

My money is on Evinrude
$(KGrHqJ,!joE6+4,o7TgBPClwoVuf!~~60_57.JPG
Click on the picture to be able to read it.

H-A
pat777

Post by pat777 »

Horsley-Anarak wrote:My money is on Evinrude
H-A
That looks like a good match all right.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

What about this one? Not quite a seagull.
large.jpg
That is some set up.

H-A
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

pat777 wrote:
1650bullet wrote:The Motor could be a britannia--Evinrude or an Anzani by the size of it. :?: :?:
Thanks for the reply 1650bullet. I'll have to move the picture to the "Other Old Outboards (Non-Seagulls) forum" so! It's not a great picture of the outboard, but a nice picture all the same, of the camaraderie of the soldiers. A picture of a seagull at work in world war two is proving rather elusive. A lot of the pontoon building pictures don't seem to have any outboards on the boats and are rather relying on oars for propulsion. The search continues....

It is a great Picture" And judging by all the chaps carrying that barge looking thing, It must be bloody heavy.