The value of things

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

The value of things

Post by charlesp »

I have noticed a few items on eBay over the last few weeks that have made me sit up and take notice.
The other Charles popped in for a cuppa the other day and alerted me to one in particular - a standard oval fuel tank, admittedly in excellent codition, that went for £155 pounds. By any standards that's a lot of money. Imagine what the whoe engine in a similar condition must be worth!
A quick scan of the completed listings shows some other interesting prices - there was very recently a long shaft Century with a large(13") propellor described as a barge pusher that went for nearly £200.
Is this the start of Seagull inflation?
Is my very cheap hobby about to become very unaffordable?
When will we see the first 'gull on 'Antiques Roadshow' with beaming owner being told his mortgage can now be paid off?
RickUK

The value of things

Post by RickUK »

Hello Charles - enjoyed your observations - don't think there is anything to get excited/worried about - things will self-regulate. Folk might see these fancy prices, dust their old motors off and stuff them on ebay, saturate what must be a limited market, and normality will be restored.
I can see the attraction of an as-new tank, and I was one of the early bidders, but as an 'investment' the cost could never be proportionately added to a pristine motor and recovered, (£1,000.00 Seagull anyone?) and lets face it - the motor could never be used.
Now I do have this real 102 bargepusher . . . . . Rick
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Actually Rick I've got one as well. Obviously they're not as rare as I thought!

I hope you're right about the self regulating bit.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I have just realised that Seagulls are actually very cheap. I withdraw my earlier observations.

Check out this link, and the prices!

http://americanheritage.us/productslist ... lection=46
Duane A.

Post by Duane A. »

Like all you other Seagull fanatics, I watch EBay for bits and deals. I also watched the 102 tank go for what I thought was way too much money. I bought a complete short shaft 102 clutch model five/six months ago for $75 US. The tank is almost as good. I have watched all the motors go up in price on EBay over time. Thankfully, I still find them at garage and marine flea markets for a better price. I bought three last year at a large marine flea market for a total of $140 US. One was just a parts motor, but the other two started right up with very little effort. Not the prettiest motors on the block, but like we all know they will be good enough to last another 40 plus years with a little love. I so enjoy seeing all the data on this great site and can only thank John@SOS and all of you for all the great input. I can’t wait for the racing season to begin. I always get a big laugh reading the competition banter and bashing. Fair winds to you all. Duane
Charles UK

The racing season has begun Duane.

Post by Charles UK »

The racing season seems to have no open or closing point as it is a world wide persuit.

The Kiwis are racing all our winter, just so that the 1 shivering Pom entrant in their biggest race, the Waikato Easter 2 day event has no chance to test or practice.
I sometimes wonder if they sited New Zealand in the southern hemisphere just to restrict my chances.
So on Sunday I will be climbing on to a big silver bird to start the English invasion of the north island NZ, promise I'll wave Duane, as I go past your house on my way to L.A.
This time I'm taking my 170, as it seems to be going again, it only has to last 4 hours to bring the record back to England where it belongs. resting alongside the Bermudian one that I stole with a borrowed boat & motor last June.
This time next week I will be testing on Lake Taupo, "the place where the stones on the beach float if you throw them in the water" with the assistance of the Max8 boys. I use the term boys loosely, as I don't think there is one of them under 40.
I don't know why I keep going back, every year, I get humiliated by John Crighton.
Mind you he has taught me a lot, how not to burst into tears at prize givings, how not to reverse his truck into Carol's car, & that the Seagull sport whatever I say about it, is a very cost effective competitive motor for a Spagetti Seagull.
I will try & let you know how I get on, if JC doesn't kick my ar*e all the way down the river.

Charles UK
Duane A.

Racing in NZ and worldwide

Post by Duane A. »

Charles,
Good to see you are still in rare writing form. Best wishes in New Zealand. I hope your 170 holds together least you take too much abuse from the Kiwi crowd - again. Not to say that the boy’s from Bermuda didn’t give you a thorough pasting as you had the unmitigated gall to take a trophy back to England with a borrowed motor. After reading John Crighton’s semi-ethical workshop and driving comments. I can fully understand your questioning any mental state that keeps you racing. I must comment on your firing the first shot at NZ prior to boarding the plane. They must be the size of soccer balls. I’ll return the wave as you pass this part of the US. Take care as you know they are laying for you.
Blessings,
Duane
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

I followed the Seagull activity on ebay this winter, waiting for the river to melt, and pricing was all over the place.

A nice fresh water FPL "running and used last season" went for 108 USD....a 'Seized Forty, parts may be missing' in completely corroded state went for 155 USD....

Go figure.

I guess in a 5 day listing one doesnt capture all the market interest, especially in the winter.

I got an unused Silver Century plus 3 other non-working motors last year for $750...I have since patched up the 3 and basically netted about 300 USD for the 'pristine engine'....Thats probably a little less than its worth (its not for sale)

I dont think there will be a run on these things - for me I like tinkering and also use them as a way to get my two daughters involved with tools, grease, spark plugs, spanners, etc - to the chagrin of Mom.

If you are buying on ebay I would surf for a long time and buy from someone you can pick up - there is a lot of junk out there. Dont forget to ask for a price with you picking up, as a lot of sellers pad their shipping costs to up their margins

If you are selling I think I would consider running a 10 day ad at least.

If you are in the UK why arent you buying from John???

:D :D :D
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Just as an FYI serial number Model # FPL 416E9 sold today on ebay for $150 - plus another $50 or so to ship, if you were from out of town.

Advertised as has not been run in many years....and handle was broken (but easily fixed) - looking at the picture I wonder if the buyer realises the handle is part of the crankcase??

This really should have sold as a parts motor and not at that price - still, 10 bidders mean its a fair price to someone...cant argue with that...

Mayeb I should start locking up my flock at night....
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
Charles UK

Racing in Kiwiland

Post by Charles UK »

Duane
This year I messed up BIGTIME! in the southern hemisphere, my 170 was getting better & better every time I ran it.
That is, until the night before the race, when whilst flying over lake Karapiro it suddenly slowed & stopped, never to start again.
The worst bit about the whole event was that Raoul Microgull Lealand's Seagull Sport managed to get both of us on the plane on the tow back to the launch site.
It gets worse, the lowest point in my whole existance was that I had to borrow a Sport to do the race but that wasn't all bad, as the crankshaft only lasted just over the hour, as it gave up the ghost just before Huntly power station.
I was offered another Sport to do the second day, but declined as I felt that wrecking another motor belonging to someone else, was almost a dead certainty.
Ross bloody Leger destroyed the record by almost 25% with an amazing drive, 3 hours 11 mins for 87 miles, it's going to take a very good 170 to get near that!
But I'm not giving up yet Ross!
You should try the racing, Bermuda is not too far from you, & even if it all turns to ***t, it's a beautiful bit of water to drift around in.

& Congratulations Ross!

Charles must run it in longer UK
Duane A.

Post by Duane A. »

Charles,
Sorry to hear you had less than good luck with your 170 down under. I’ll check the Kiwi site to read the saga of this year’s race when it’s posted. I’m sure it will be as cheeky as usual. I have thought about racing in Bermuda – it’s a 7 to 10 day sail from here if the weather window allows. That race is normally held around the start of hurricane season – so it’s a debate as whether to sail or fly. I’m up to my neck in projects, but slowly knocking the load down so I can have some play time. So, maybe I’ll make Bermuda next year if all goes well. I’m curious to know if you have restored the Marston Twin yet? What beautiful machine work it looks to have in the picture’s posted – even if it was in bits! I’m looking forward to seeing it when you find the time to get it restored. Your – to do - list is probably as long as mine. Just keep me in mind to see pictures of it completed if you will please. I’ve gleaned some great tips reading your input to this site over time and appreciate the headaches your knowledge has saved me. Keep up the great work and don’t let the blasts that will be forth coming from down under get to you!
Fair Winds,
Duane