My Minus SJM 661L5

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

My Minus SJM 661L5

Post by Collector Inspector »

Well, I ended up getting another block to replace the cracked original.

Here tis

And here is the Minus in question

along with all bumps and scratches of course. So, it has to come apart obviously so I packed a beer and a smoke in gob, got tools as indicated and pulled it apart...................

and left the bottom bit for later...............

You know what?

Time to do the deed?

4 minutes and 37 - 45 seconds from first touch till hands in the air.............Cool Eh?

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Collector Inspector

Re: My Minus SJM 661L5

OK!

Came home early from work, stuff it, it is Friday after all and set about getting the bits cleaned up and stuff to hand to put the power head back together.

One hour was spent in just removing a thick layer of old varnish (Last owner was religious in application), Fasteners all done, gaskets made, new rings filed up and bore honed and a magnificent "Whoop" lapped out in the cranckase where the tiller bracket casting is. I have marked where it was in texta (Black Chemical Pen that is). Common problem which I spotted before pulling everything apart. I started it last year some time?

Pic of where the whoop was. Mind you it was really big!

Once all of the varnish was removed, some extra letter stamps were interesting.

The letter "R"

Which probbly wobbly, explains the as new crankshaft assy?

So, what does the stamp "A" mean I wonder......Australia? (Could be just a Triangle)

Anyway, smokes, beer and the tools you see...........all together in 11 Minutes. (I left a half fingernail donation in it with the top ring)..........Nose picking finger too, ouch!

So, thats cool! It is as tight as a what name's dooHickee so a heavy oil mix on the weekend in the blue tub.

And, I have always felt that "New Rings", shaped yourself, are really kinda sexy........

Regards

B

PS: I did all the fasteners to the "F.T" specification. I did not touch the big end..................
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

This post looks more professional without the adjustable spanners.
If the tiller mount had a L, it would be on the left :lol:
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

This post looks more professional without the adjustable spanners.
If the tiller mount had a L, it would be on the left
But to be fair he tried to hide it..

The 'R' is a stamp applied by the man (or, more rarely, woman(!)) who assembled the thing originally. We don't know (or at leat I don't, and I've asked everyone who survives as far as I know) who had which inital. So it may well have been made by Ron. Or Reg or Richard. Or someone whose girlfriend was Rita. And so on.

The triangle, I have no clue.

Four and three quarter minutes to pull her apart, eh? Well we have to make allowances cos you had a beer nand a smoke. Maybe that's why you were so slow? But don't worry, with practice you can get the time down...
OwdJockey

Post by OwdJockey »

Hi Collector!

Is that an hairline crack I can see in the exhaust portal?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Don't think it is, just the unfinished casting or rust :shock:

Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

dont worry about the ajustable spanner, look at this
bru.jpg
Bruce, I would refer you to one of your previous posts.

"Impatience of our modern youthful endeavours, even if you are old like me, can get in the way most times.

Some learn, others ask for bits..........." :lol: :wink:

H-A
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

No the vintage looking picture in the Screen saver post, a sepia picture with two adjustable spanners on the table.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

bru 2.jpg
:wink:
Can't believe that you are drinking "Bud" Bruce, what is wrong with "The Amber Nectar"?
H-A
outboard

Post by outboard »

Excuse my ignorance, What the hell's a "WHOOP"?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Whoop-Whoop is a small insignificant town in the bush of Australia. It is often used in the Australian Slang expression 'way out in Whoop-Whoop,' which is equivalent to the other Australian phrase 'beyond the black stump,' both of which mean 'way out in the middle of nowhere.' Coincidentally, the middle of nowhere is exactly where Whoop-Whoop is.

The town of Whoop-Whoop has exactly one post office, one church, one pub, and about ten point five houses1 and a total population of 46, which mainly consists of elderly senior citizens and farmers. They used to have a school, but it closed down because the school wasn't being used enough, so the one remaining student has to shuttle into the next town, Jameison (which has a total population of 93), to be educated.

:D

H-A
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

I only ever use Bud to clean my teeth if the local water is bad and you don't trust the bottled..................like somewhere west of Xian

It's the pull through that puzzled me....................what did you use if for?

And why TWO hammers?????????????

Peter
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

40TPI wrote:It's the pull through that puzzled me....................what did you use if for?

Peter
That is easy, it is used to clean his 12 Gauge after the croc shoot.

Two hammers, can't you see Peter one is left handed.

H-A
outboard

Post by outboard »

Never mind the Bud, how the hell did he get it stripped down looking so clean?
What's the best stuff to clean off all the dirt and grease? I was thinking of a bath of gunk, is there anything better. I know petrol does a good job but will it be better than the forementioned "Gunk"?

I assume the removal of the flywheel was done by two people, or is there a way you experts do it single handed?

Cheers
Gerard
Collector Inspector

You lot do go off eh? :lol:

Flywheel off with it under my arm and "Thunk" with bloody heavy hammer. Try it.

Aww why does some smart eagle eye have to find that Crack in the exhaust port? Why? Stuff it! better than the other sorry lump of a block that is now in the bin.....................Sigh!

OK

It runs, took a bit to get it to turn more than 10 times coz a tad tight but has been running nicely. I did not stop it for ages, compression is up from 14psi and now 62 psi. I monitored block temp of course.

I changed the carb needle to 25:1 thingy, thanks John SOS but mixed 10:1 for initial start up. Is cool, see below....(Click on Picture)

I also found a tank with less dents..................hard ask but worked out well.

So, now to do a bit of a tidy up, have new cable for carb and tilt pin/ thingy (Thanks again to SOS).

There is SO much Varnish to clean off!

B